Phrag. kovachii 'Sweet Valentine'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThienNgo Le

Reaction score
Those of you who are my friends on Facebook probably saw this beauty on my Facebook page already. This is the best one I have bloomed so far. I bloomed some really good one last year but not this good.
Enjoy the flower.
Best,
ThienNgo Le

52024064_2205337872857218_4309428343511449600_o.jpg

very full, plus the dorsal is not cupping as other kovachii.
did you try to have it judged, seems awardable to me.

Hi Le, a friend from Peru shared this , I believe on the Peruvian forum. Can you post a photo from the side, please? Also, what is the ploidy?

Hi Le, a friend from Peru shared this , I believe on the Peruvian forum. Can you post a photo from the side, please? Also, what is the ploidy?
Hi Eric,
I did not take any pictures from the side. I am out of town now. I will take pictures from the side when I get back home, hope the flower won't drop. This plant is from a flask from Chuck many years ago. It looks like a 4N one to me according to the size, substance, and texture but the only way to be sure is take the DNA test which I am not gonna rich enough to do that. :))

very full, plus the dorsal is not cupping as other kovachii.
did you try to have it judged, seems awardable to me.
Hi Hien,
It opened exactly one week after the judging day at the local judging center. I bloomed 18 kovachii last year and non of them opened on the judging day too. It seems like they don't want me to lose money for award fee LOL

That is beyond the pale. Award worthy isn't the issue, it definitely deserves an award. That plant needs to be line bred and meristem cloned!
I already self-pollinated it. I am doing the breeding line on several Phragmipedium species.

Thanks for the info. I know you are into Phrags, I still have the Frank Smith you were interested in, and Glen told me you grow Paphs as well. I think we still could do some interesting trades.

[This plant is from a flask from Chuck many years ago. It looks like a 4N one to me according to the size, substance, and texture but the only way to be sure is take the DNA test which I am not gonna rich enough to do that. :))"]

you certainly are a very good grower.
years ago, I got all different flasks of various kovachii crosses from Peruflora when they first offer them to the US customer (same time that Chuck order them from Peruflora), and they all died on me, granted the seedlings inside the flasks are tiny
Then I kill 2 more kovachii flasks from Glen, this time I have no excuse, because the seedlings inside the flasks are big.

Last edited:
It's amazing! I've never seen one with teeth before, so I'm betting it's 4N. I'm glad you're propagating it.

Latest posts

Back