Phrag. kovachii habitat photos from Isaias Rolando

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can just appreciate all your coments.
All of you are very interested people.
But lets comunicate only by e-mail for your answers`
[email protected]
If you really want the answeres right me there
I think this Forum should stay at the "knowing the facts" level, otherwise we could fall in too deep discusion rather than enjoying our orchids...
Remember we are hobbiests, not comercial growers...
Have a good week

isaias m rolando said:
I can just appreciate all your coments.
All of you are very interested people.
But lets comunicate only by e-mail for your answers`

Personally, I think that what has been started publicly should be finished publicly.

We are interested.

It's been brought out into the open, by many people in this thread, now you wish to take it to private email? I don't think that's appropriate. If you want the truth to be known, let it be known in a public setting. If you don't want to finish it in public than perhaps it was a mistake to start it in the first place. Just my opinion, I don't mean to criticize.

I agree with Heather....and I DO mean to criticize. Isaias, you make many serious accusations. Most of us know who you are talking about and accusing of wrongdoing. If you were honorable, you'd produce proof to back up what you say, or you'd retract your accusations.

I agree with Heather. The forum members are interested in learning what is going on. It is not correct in a free society to give only a part of the story and expect people to make the correct decisions.

The only way to expose and stop the international black market is to talk about it in public. The internet is the perfect tool for Peruvians to bring problems to light.

SlipperTalk is the best place to discuss this subject publically, everyone here cares about what is said.

OK, remember you ask for this. You want to stay public, it is ok with me. But I thought you were not interested in the true story because it afects some very honorable comercial growers.
You will have ALL the true . all side by the end of this months. I am waiting some answers from US and elsewhere....
Thank you again for your coments, please wait to the end of this month.
Have a good week

isaias m rolando said:
OK, remember you ask for this. You want to stay public, it is ok with me. But I thought you were not interested in the true story because it afects some very honorable comercial growers.

In the USA nobody gets protected by everyone staying quiet, not even the President.

gonewild said:
In the USA nobody gets protected by everyone staying quiet, not even the President.
Lance, I think you are heavily influenced by the series 24 on TV.
After watching it, I am not sure of anything we see & hear are real anymore:sob:

Hien said:
Lance, I think you are heavily influenced by the series 24 on TV.
After watching it, I am not sure of anything we see & hear are real anymore:sob:

I don't know the "series 24" Did I miss something influencing?
After being heavily involved in the production of wildlife and nature programs I know better than to believe anything I see on TV! :(

All joking aside...
In Peru there exists old families with old money. People do not say things in public that might embarrass a member of this part of society. In the USA we tell all, don't we? Or do we want to protect "some very honorable comercial growers"?

gonewild said:
I don't know the "series 24" Did I miss something influencing?
After being heavily involved in the production of wildlife and nature programs I know better than to believe anything I see on TV! :(

All joking aside...
In Peru there exists old families with old money. People do not say things in public that might embarrass a member of this part of society. In the USA we tell all, don't we? Or do we want to protect "some very honorable comercial growers"?
24 is on tonight on FOX network. w/ agent Bauer (Keith Sutherland) in troulble all the times (I mean the country in trouble all the times).
I wonder , that by us asking about the pk situation all over the world, and trace them back to Peru, doesn't that put Isaias in trouble for stepping on some peruvian big toes.

Hien said:
24 is on tonight on FOX network. w/ agent Bauer (Keith Sutherland) in troulble all the times (I mean the country in trouble all the times).

OH that one. Never watched it, previews have too much scramming "Jack".

I wonder , that by us asking about the pk situation all over the world, and trace them back to Peru, doesn't that put Isaias in trouble for stepping on some peruvian big toes.

Isaias brought this to us, we did not ask him to do it. He is aware of the problems it may cause for himself. He says he is willing to expose the problem because that is what he believes is the right thing to do. Bravo for him.

This is the same problem Peter has had with revealing his sources for his so called "rumors". Peter could not reveal names of who told him things for exactly the same reason you point out. But Isaias steps freely forward and is willing to fight for his cause, whatever it is.

For us it is about plants, for the people of Peru it is about advancement of their democracy, which is very young by the way.

To tell Isaias to be quiet is to empower the darkside, to listen to and question what he says gives a light of hope.

My opinion.

Hien said:

Indeed he is stepping on some Peruvian toes. Possibly some US toes as well, in his next promised post. Isaias knew this before he posted in this thread. He was not asked by anyone on this forum to say anything; the questions by forum members came as a result of what Isaias volunteered to say on Slipper Talk.

peter

Thank you Peter
You always coment on what you believe is the total knowledge you have in this saga.
But probably there is much more to tell about FACTS and not "rumours" or "somebody coments...". I don't have to protect INRENA or any other source in Peru or the US to "protect" the origin of public information.
Have a good day Peter

isaias m rolando said:
You will have ALL the true . all side by the end of this months. I am waiting some answers from US and elsewhere....
Thank you again for your coments, please wait to the end of this month.
Have a good week

Well?

Sorry for the delay...I wasbussy traveling for a Telemedicine Project for my University and Vanderbilt University. but just got back to Lima and...
CHAPTER 1
" In 1990 visiting Moyobamba and Vivero Agroriente, Renato Villena told me the story that some locals have mentioned to him about a "zapatito azul", That time it was dificult to believe the existence of such a "blue" color in a Phragmipedium, but after the appearence of Phragmipedium besseae...anything could be posible, but certainly not a blue pigment in an orchid.
In 1997 a family already had documents for some land at kilometer "K" in the Carretera Fernando Belaunde Terry. One member of this family, Juan Perez Rojas observed a very unusual "zapatito". Insted of having "pasadores" (petals in the well known wallisii and boissierianum), this "blue slipper" had very wide petals and remarcable size and form. The area is close to Venceremos locality, a very weel known area for orchid collectors ( legal and illegal persons). Many Masdevallia for example are well known from this area and described in the last 30 years. One of these orchid collectors was Renato Villena and knew about this new and incredible orchid from that area. He started to study the new Phrag since 1999 and took him and his authorized firm more than two years to obtain enough material to send it to orchid taxonomists and finally Dr Eric Christenson was able to write the original and legal description of the new discovered Phragmipedium peruvianum .
Another well known collector in the area was Mr Lee Moore. Rumors of the blue zapatito took him and his friend Kovach to travel to the area. Another local farmer, Faustino M., also collected some plants and with his family he used to sell orchids in his farm aisde the highway when Mr Kovach arrived, bought some specimens, took them out of the country and illegally introduced the plants to the USA and took them personally to Selby Gardens taxonomists who printed a "special number" of Selbyana to publish first the illegal name of Phragmipedium kovachii After Grand Jury decisions and many unfortunate events in 2002 and 2003, we have clear convictions to three persons in the USA: Mr Michael Kovach, Mr Manuel Arias and his client. Also one institution: Selby Gardens.

(TO BE CONTINUED)

kentuckiense said:
The Phrags in the George Norris "scandal" do not include kovachii.

Isaias made that erroneous statement three weeks ago in post # 14. I corrected him in post # 15.

The USDOJ Publication # 156:03-11-04 Re the Indictment of Manuel Arias and George Norris does not mention Phragmipedium kovachii.

Here is the link to the USDOJ publication:

http://usdoj.gov/opa/pr/2004/March/04_enrd_156.htm

Those convicted in the Pk case are:
1) Marie Selby Botanical Gardens Inc.
2) Dr. Wesley Higgins, Director of Systematics at MSBG
3) Michael Kovach

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back