phrag Fritz Schomberg

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With regards to breeding, kovachii is very much like schlimii & fisheri, in that kovachii supresses the yellow or green background colors of the other parent. The orange-red of besseae is really purple anthocyanin, layered over a bright yellow - the same yellow seen in the besseae flavum form. Kovachii will supress the background color, changing it to white. The purple of kovachii is due to the anthocyanin. A flower just opening starts out quite dark, almost blue purple, but as it expands the density of the pigment thins out, allowing the white background to show through. White with a wash of purple over it looks pink. Almost all kovachii, even the dark ones, fade to a pink color as the flower ages. Right before the flower drops they are all pink.

Because kovachii produces anthocyanins over all of its flower segments, I expect a deeper shade of pink than I would of schlimii hybrids, but otherwise one could predict color from kovachii crosses by looking at similar schlimii crosses and think bigger with more intense pink & spread around the whole flower.

Yeah that's a fine one!!! What size is the bloom? Jean

(mine is spiking too, hope the blooms will be similar good as yours)

Bloom measures about 4" wide and about 3.5" high, plant itself is the same size as my mature besseae....for now at least, I shure hope it dont go stolonous on me , that would be a bummer

THere's no such thing as too many Phrags! :p Let us know when you thin the herd.

Probably wont be too long, I do have a Olaf Gruss from Eucagenera, thats on the list for shure, maybe a hannne popow and eveningblaze. And if this one besseae dont stop climbing all over the place its out the door too :mad: I have another thats well behaved and stays in its pot......good besseae :)

My Fritz Schomburg flavum is in bloom. As I compare it, maybe yours is also x flavum besseae, LMK what the label says.

Now that I've checked my flavvm more closely I see it has yellow dorsal and syn.

Last edited:
The bud on my Fritz blasted today. It's a single growth not that big. Can it flower at all on a single growth? :sob:

Yeah, I had that thought in the back of my mind, the label on this particular plant says that is not the flavum cross , however there was quite a bit of a "mix up" when I bought these, ill have to wait until the others bloom for comparison. I have the "flavum" cross as well about the same size but it didnt want to flower, instead it started a new growth ....just as well as its growing very well.

My Fritz Schomburg flavum is in bloom. As I compare it, maybe yours is also x flavum besseae, LMK what the label says.

Now that I've checked my flavvm more closely I see it has yellow dorsal and syn.

To be precise, the sheath turned brown even before the bud showed up. :(

Thats a bummer, I know how you feel, two of my besseae did that this year, I think they got a bit warm for a couple nights and puked on me.

Short days, dark skies, and no significant sun for weeks. My guess is the bud had simply not enough of the good light to grow. :p

Short days, dark skies, and no significant sun for weeks. My guess is the bud had simply not enough of the good light to grow. :p

Same here in Lux!!!! Just spent an hour again to free as much as possible of my gh roof from the snow that fell yesterday and tonight (20cm + is really a max here since years). I am afraid my spiking Fritz will meet the same problems as yours :eek::eek:!!! Jean

Latest posts

Back