Phrag. Apollo Care Tips?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malipoense

Reaction score
I recently acquired a phrag. Apollo (fritz schomburg x kovachii) which I'm excited about! It looks a lot like a kovachii too which is why I got it. Can anyone give me some care tips for it, e.g. temperature, light, watering. Picture below is the plant.

Attachments

• 20230626_202028.jpg
    20230626_202028.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230626_202024.jpg
    20230626_202024.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • hyb_000350640_100977597.jpg
    hyb_000350640_100977597.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 0
I have my Fritz hanging in a southeast window. I have it in Orchids Ltd. rockwool and perlite mix. It’s doing well with a new growth half mature now. I was worried about watering with kovachii in the mix and it was my first Phrag in 12 years so I watered with distilled water for a while but now I’m watering with filtered. Kelpak and MSU for fertilizer. Water twice a week. It’s getting hot here so keeping an eye on keeping the roots cooler right now for my besseae and kovachii hybrids. Happy with the growdan so far for the Phrags that like it wetter and cooler. Temps in the house are under 80 generally. My kitchen is lucky that it has amazing windows, two air vents, and a ceiling fan so I’m hopeful that this room will also get cold enough in the winter for the kov. hybrids.

So far I’m happy with the progress but will see how things turn when we get over 100 outside this week. Had to move a few hybrids back from the hot window a bit yesterday. Have a few other kov. hybrids now and I’m treating all the same way. My long petaled Phrags are in bark mix but otherwise same culture.

I have my Fritz hanging in a southeast window. I have it in Orchids Ltd. rockwool and perlite mix. It’s doing well with a new growth half mature now. I was worried about watering with kovachii in the mix and it was my first Phrag in 12 years so I watered with distilled water for a while but now I’m watering with filtered. Kelpak and MSU for fertilizer. Water twice a week. It’s getting hot here so keeping an eye on keeping the roots cooler right now for my besseae and kovachii hybrids. Happy with the growdan so far for the Phrags that like it wetter and cooler. Temps in the house are under 80 generally. My kitchen is lucky that it has amazing windows, two air vents, and a ceiling fan so I’m hopeful that this room will also get cold enough in the winter for the kov. hybrids.

So far I’m happy with the progress but will see how things turn when we get over 100 outside this week. Had to move a few hybrids back from the hot window a bit yesterday. Have a few other kov. hybrids now and I’m treating all the same way. My long petaled Phrags are in bark mix but otherwise same culture.
Hi Heather, thanks for your response! The phrag is currently sitting in a hanging basket under our tall deck and gets indirect sunlight for a few hours each day. It's rained last night so I guess I don't need to water it for another few days or so. Right now the temp is pretty cool so that's fine too, it's currently growing in orchiata bark. Temps are rising into the high 70s and low 80s starting tomorrow.

Back