phrag Fritz Schomberg

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

grasshopper

Hello everyone,
Here is a Fritz first bloom :)

Attachments

• MVC-209F.JPG
    MVC-209F.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 133
Love the peachy color. I haven't been brave enough to try these, but they are beautiful.

very nicely shaped right now. Freshly opened?

Yep, just opened a day ago, it took its good old time to develope, Ive been waiting about a month for this sucker to open. I have another large one that grew out a new growth, it appears the old growth didnt want to flower before doing so. So far these are easy and dont seem to mind a variety of mixes.

Yay besseae hybrids! looks like quite a nice phrag collection you have there. What else have you got?

I have quite a few, to many to list off the top of my head, will probably thin the herd here soon and make room for the baby Fritz's :)

I think it's spelled Fritz Schomburg.

It's really pretty. But how does a besseae x kovachii = a pale pink? I don't understand genetics.

Yeah that's a fine one!!! What size is the bloom? Jean

(mine is spiking too, hope the blooms will be similar good as yours)

I think it's spelled Fritz Schomburg.

It's really pretty. But how does a besseae x kovachii = a pale pink? I don't understand genetics.

Evidently there is a range of color on this cross from richer pinks with some red/orange to light pinks. The flowers that are darker are smaller and the larger ones are this lighter pink. Also, if the besseae used is the yellow albinistic version they then flowers will be much lighter in color.

A good comparison would be crosses such as besseae x schlimii or fischeri which tend to be soft to rich pink colors. Kovachii is not dominant for color, but is for size and the stem length. It is rather unfortunate that its lovely pouch doesn't appear strongly in the progeny.

Thanks, Bill. I understand how besseae x schlimii or fischeri can result in light pink because schlimii & fischeri are pale in comparison to besseae. But besseae and kovachii are both deep colors, so it doesn't make sense to me. But as I said, I don't understand genetics. I get how to mix colors in pigment and light, but not genes!

Latest posts

Back