Phrag. April Fool 'Fool's Gold'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That one is so beautiful. Hope you have some for sale someday.

once in a while we will have some divisions for sale, so keep checking our website.

https://www.orchidweb.com/products/phrag-april-fool-fools-gold-division~2829.html

I believe last time we were selling divisions, we were selling them for $ 350 each.
Also we will have a new batch of seedlings coming in the near future, made with the identical parents (Cardinale 'Birchwood' AM/AOS x besseae 'Rob's Choice' 4N AM/AOS), so some of these will be very similar. I will post a link, once they are up for sale.

Robert

Robert, certainly it is a very nice plant. I can imagine that eventually it is going to be awarded.
I just noticed that it was made using (Cardinale 'Birchwood' 3N x besseae 'Rob's Choice' 4N) it must be aneuriploid, right?

I remember other of your crosses made with 3N plants. Is common to find a 3N plant fertile or compatible?

Thank you so much

Robert, certainly it is a very nice plant. I can imagine that eventually it is going to be awarded.
I just noticed that it was made using (Cardinale 'Birchwood' 3N x besseae 'Rob's Choice' 4N) it must be aneuriploid, right?

I remember other of your crosses made with 3N plants. Is common to find a 3N plant fertile or compatible?

Thank you so much

Yes, you are correct. I actually counted the chromosomes of this clone ('April Fool') and it was 2 chromosomes short of being a true tetraploid, so yes, it is an aneuploid.
We have found that a lot of 3N plants tend to be sterile, but if you cross them onto a tetraploid parent (like in this case), they can produce some offspring. Actually we have been able to use this 'April Fool' clone as a parent a few times as well (although it is a reluctant breeder). We have been able to backcross it to besseae 'Rob's Choice' to make Phrag. Jimmy Hendrix. One of those plants I counted the chomosomes, and it turned out to be a Pentaploid! (2n = 5x)! The genetics gets kind of complicated when we are dealing with that many generations..

Phrag. Jimmy Hendrix (2n = 5x):

We have also been able to cross it to a 2N Phrag. fischeri, to make Phrag. Foolerish.

Robert

I think Robert is such a tease! For shame, showing us such beautiful plants
that we can't get our hands on now. Oooooh noooooo!

Lol! With all these plants I see you loving, you're going to have to extend your greenhouse

Yes, I think Robert is going to need to make a waiting list for seedlings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Charles, I've got plenty of room for two more 6' x 4' benches. I build my
own benches and it hardly takes any time at all. Bring the beauties on!

Great idea...waiting list for seedlings. Robert could sell them all right here without
too much trouble.

Latest posts

Back