Photos: Visit to Ching Hua Orchids, home of the 'Hsinying' series

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hardy

Reaction score
I believe many of you paph lovers are familiar with the name Hsinying. It's the name given to the grexes made by Ching Hua Orchids, which is located in Hsinying City, Tainan, Taiwan.

They produce many types of orchids, paphs, cattleyas, novel species among other things.

For Taiwan International Orchid Show visitors, a visit to Ching Hua Orchids is a must, since it's located just a couple miles from TIOS site.

Here are some photos to share:

Pad and fan greenhouses are used to house most of the paphs at Ching Hua.
a1.JPG

a2.JPG

They grow LOTS of maudiae-type paphs:
a3.JPG

a4.JPG

These blooming plants are going through selection and readied for sale:
a5.JPG

a6.JPG

More maudiae-type youngsters.... Future winners among them
a7.JPG

a8.JPG

a9.JPG

They have other type of paphs too. Parvi hybrids here.
a10.JPG

Potting area:
a11.JPG

Adjacent to a potting area is a large space for growing seedlings. Same here, many maudiae-types...
a12.JPG

This is a special type of shadecloth designed to mimic forest canopy. The alternating dark-light strips are supposed to result in better plant growth.
a13.JPG

Newly deflasked seedlings in compots:
a14.JPG

Next is a HUGE growing area with air-conditioned cooling. Summers in Taiwan are very hot, so pad and fan cooling is not enough for some plant types. Here mature phalaenopsis are grown to force flowering, together with many of their paph breeding stock.
a15.JPG

Here are their green maudiae-type studs:
a16.JPG

Other maudiae-types:
a17.JPG

They produce some complex hybrids too. Lots of fat capsules here.
a18.JPG

a19.JPG

Some brachys... That's Bulbophyllum echinolabium blooming.
a20.JPG

Where all those seedlings come from....
a21.JPG

They grow out most the flasks under natural light in the greenhouse.
a22.JPG

Thats a lot of pics. Hope it didn't take too long to load. They're very friendly people there. Don't forget to give them a visit when you are in the area! Cheers :)

p.s. Gosh it's 1 am now. I'm really an addict :rollhappy: Time to go sleep

This is why I love the internet!!!! Thank you so much for this report. I love to see these international nurseries. It’s wonderful to see how people around the planet do, and yes!!! You have an addiction!! Isn’t it wonderful! I know I love mine…

I had no idea Hsinying was such a huge nursery. Thanks for the great tour--it does make me want to go out and purchase an airplane ticket.

Latest posts

Back