Photographing orchids

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG! I tried to take a photo fo the Phrag bloom I posted last night using a blck backdrop and a light.. so BAD!!! :sob:

You can't rely on the overall camera auto exposure meter when you use a black back ground. The camera will try to lighten the black and the result is an overexposed flower. Use the exposure compensation +- to adjust "-" light.

when you try to do what you did last night, first put a white cloth around the plant/flowers. look at what the readings are for that picture and write them down. next, put the camera into manual mode, put in the settings that you wrote down (if possible) and put a black cloth around the flower and take a picture

well, if you can't adjust your camera, then there isn't a point in trying to be fancy. though, if you use a medium gray background and bright light overall, then the camera will still see it more or less as 'white', and it will be lighter, so you may get a better exposure and result

My camera is like my phone. I went from a Razr to a G4 Slide-touch phone !! I need to take time to learn more about my camera, at least in natural light it seem to be OK.

Eric,

1. you can just try to find tiny little +/- button
2. Once you have find it, try to turn the button to -.3 or -.6 or even -1... and shoot
3. After that you can try by increesing (+.3, +.6... +2 if you want) and shoot.

You will see the results and I am sure you will undersand. With practice it is easy to estimate the good correction. For a light flower (with spot measure on the flower) I will often shoot at +0.7 or +1. For a dark red I shoot at -1 or -0.6.

OMG are you people serious? Maybe I need a "brownie'!!

Oh! I feel like you do Eric!
I borrowed my boss' Canon G12...it does macro all by itself :) Excellent!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

One of the best things I have ever done to improve my photography is follow Dot's suggestions and the critiques I've gotten here.

Others include tripod, black velvet for background, wireless remote shutter release, a good diffuser for flash (when used), and spot metering.

Gonewild and NYEric, it's called white balancing. This is done with all cameras and video equipment before shooting any sort of footage/pictures. You might want to look at your camera's instruction manual to see if they have a section on white balancing to help you find the proper buttons in your specific models.

Latest posts

Back