Phalaenopsis violacea

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this as a pink form of Phalaenopsis violacea, but it is from a seedling population. I don't think the pink is coming through... At least not on this blooming. Hopefully the pink will come through in a different blooming or a different temperature (season). If not, I will still enjoy it.

20230615_211927.jpg

looks more 'alba'
Yes, I think this one falls into the alba form. I am not sure how much temperature impact color in Phals. Maybe others and @DrLeslieEe can weigh in? I have Cattleya alaorii that is label as alba and blooms out alba in warmer conditions but blooms with a pink ring around the lips in cooler weather. I am not sure it this is a common in Phals, or is mine actually alba.

I would think that half alba is not possible. It is an alba or not. If some bloomings show pink, and others don’t, then it is not an alba.

It is like pregnant. You are either pregnant or you’re not. Makes sense to me.

I purchased this as a pink form of Phalaenopsis violacea, but it is from a seedling population. I don't think the pink is coming through... At least not on this blooming. Hopefully the pink will come through in a different blooming or a different temperature (season). If not, I will still enjoy it.

View attachment 41209
i purchased one of this color form from 'Wilson' .. his photo showed a very slight pink blush to the 'isthmus' on the lip rather than in the petals... it was a very nuanced pink... haven't yet flowered it (and i do believe it was a meristem or stem prop)...

either way yours seems nice did you get the violacea fragrance?

Last edited:
I would think that half alba is not possible. It is an alba or not. If some bloomings show pink, and others don’t, then it is not an alba.

It is like pregnant. You are either pregnant or you’re not. Makes sense to me.
I believe that you are talking about phenotypes, and I am talking about the genetic makeup as in a plant from a cross made between pure alba form and a colored form. The resulting plants will carry genes from both parents regardless of the outwardly expressed colors.
Now, I don't know how the pink colored violacea is made nor its genetic makeup, hence I said random guess based on simple heredity law.

Well if I remember simple genetics, in all likelihood wouldn’t the alba form have recessive genes for the alba so crossing alba on alba produces albas only, no? Wasn’t that called Homozygus?
So wouldn’t it follow that the pink forms that are pretty darn rare also have the pink color tied to a recessive gene? Homozygus for pink. So with a cross of an alba and a pink what would you get? All whites with the pink being more recessive or all pink blushes with the white being recessive?
Unless you are saying it is a total crap shoot here and a white crossed with a pink produces a wide range of everything from whites to partial pinks to some that are quite pink? Is the pink dominate over white?
It has only been 55 years since I had genetics in a college class. I didn’t care for those darn fruit flies!!!

Ow, now my brain 🧠 hurts.

Yes, I think this one falls into the alba form. I am not sure how much temperature impact color in Phals. Maybe others and @DrLeslieEe can weigh in? I have Cattleya alaorii that is label as alba and blooms out alba in warmer conditions but blooms with a pink ring around the lips in cooler weather. I am not sure it this is a common in Phals, or is mine actually alba.
Depending on the lineages of this ‘pink’ line, an alba parent or an alba grandparent on both sides might have matched the recessive genes to produce a rare alba (like brown eyes parents producing a blue eye child because of blue eyed grandparents on both sides).

Check to see if flower is fully alba by observing the flower when backlit and matured (3-7 days old). If no pink hue or any tiny pinkish blush, AND if the rebloom next sequential flower (OR new spike) is pure white, then the plant is pure alba.

Albas are rarer btw 😉.

View attachment 41209
I'm sure I'm wrong, but on one of my blooming yellow phals, I noticed that the older the flower got, there was a purple tinge that showed up and darkened in the middle. In the interest of hope, perhaps the pink shows up after a few days. But even if it doesn't, it's still very beautiful. I also have a plant like this on my wishlist currently.

Thanks all!

In the alaorii example, I had the plant for a few years before the pink appear. Now it is there fairly consistently. Yes, I did change the tag to remove the alba designation. It was just strange to see the pink appear blooming it many times.

I am feeling confident in the tag, which say Phalaenopsis violacea Pink x self (Sumatrana type). Peter Lin mentioned that others from this cross are blooming pink. So, mine is an outlier if the color remains unchange on the current AND future blooming.

Latest posts

Back