Phalaenopsis violacea var magenta (??)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I purchased this as Phalaenopsis violacea var magenta years ago. Crown rot almost took it but it survived and produced two basal keikis. Yay!

This is not the flower I was expecting. Admittedly my phal knowledge is limited. Is this violacea just not magenta?
20220718_192740.jpg

Attachments

• 20220718_192732.jpg
    20220718_192732.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Looks like a bellina to me.
I was wondering if it was bellina but also thought that Samera could be an appropriate id. Once I read that Samera's center color tends to blend and fade outward. Where as bellina tends to have stronger margins around the magenta center. I have no ideas how accurate that really is.

Over the years I've bought a number of speculative crosses of violacea and only one is actually the lavender/purple
promised by the seller. My KS Mini Tris (bellina var album x equestris var alba) is magenta, beautiful and very
fragrant. Crosses of violacea vary tremendously in my experience. None are really ugly, but not what I wanted at the
time. The true "blue" I have is Phal. Equalacea from Norman's.

I agree with Ray that your Phal. bellina...something or other. Is your Phal. fragrant?

Last edited:
Over the years I've bought a number of speculative crosses of violacea and only one is actually the lavender/purple
promised by the seller. My KS Mini Tris (bellina var album x equestris var alba) is magenta, beautiful and very
fragrant. Crosses of violacea vary tremendously in my experience. None are really ugly, but not what I wanted at the
time. The true "blue" I have is Phal. Equalacea from Norman's.

I agree with Ray that your Phal. bellina...something or other. Is your Phal. fragrant?
Thanks. I have a couple more violacea to bloom from different sellers. May be one of those will turn out.

This one is lightly fragrant. You have to get your nose pretty close to smell it.

I don't think it smells like fruit loops or cinnamon. It does have an undertone of citrus and something else that's
elusive. My allergies are full-blown right now so maybe that's not accurate.

I've not tried to call, but I have tried to find him via google.

Back