phal equestris albescens

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this was purchased from oak hill as phal equestris alba (name supplied to them from their wholesaler) but if you look closely it does have slight pink color to the petals and lip, so it really isn't an alba. it is very nice, though, and a very vigorous plant. it almost got the nicest species award a few years ago at one of the southern tier orchid society shows on it's first flowering (two full spikes), but almost flowered itself to death. the plant nearly collapsed and had to grow back from the crown and is on it's way again. I've pointed out before that it seems the albescens varieties are more vigorous than the standard pink forms of equestris, not sure why though

pequalbescens910a.JPG

whole plant view - four spikes, one new one underneath the leaves

pequalbescens910b.JPG

pequalbescens910c.JPG

pequalbescens910d.JPG

flower just starting to open; can see the trace of yellow color better on the lip

I'm actually thinking of hybridizing this equestris with one of my phal lindenii's... I think i'd like the hybrid better with an albescens equestris than a darker one

NIce one! How big are the actual blooms. They look quite small but its hard to tell. I think lindenii would be a great choice for cross.

Is this the same as the one you sent me? If so, how do you get it to bloom so often!?!?

;) well, I stand back, water it once in a while... it's fairly close to the lights, sometimes put fertilizer on it... that's about it. I think it's in it's genes to grow and flower like crazy. the first time it ever flowered (for me, don't think it did before I got it) it had two spikes

actually, upon further reflection, this plant was purchased by itself from oak hill. the one I traded to you was from a compot from al's orchid exchange in leesburg virginia. I don't know if the one I've kept has flowered yet. the one or two I traded away had flowered a few times but since they weren't all white and I already had this one from oak hill I traded them.

Latest posts

Back