Peter, Germany

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let's switch to English so the other users also understand what were talking about.

Most of the Phalaenopsis breaders over here are big commercial growers that produce for flower shops and garden centers. Then there are quite a few smaller nurseries / hobbyist were you can buy Orchids.

Botorch by Herman Terborch in Helmond
Claessen Orchideeen close to Weert
And for instance Wubben Orchideeen which is also well know by some european members of this forum.

Unfortunately if these nurseries sell Paphs it is only a small sample, there is only one bigger Paph breeder in the Netherlands and that is Rene Klinge, but I've never visisted his greenhouse.

Most of my Paphs come from other peoples collection and a lot of them come from Germany. A few were bought at Lucke Orchideen and I'm planning to go to Schwerte this summer.

Hello,
i have heard about Wubben Orchids.
In Germany my favourite Paphio breeder are: Franz Glanz, Unterwössen;
Baumann, Oberhausen, Asendorfer-Orchideenzucht.com, Hilmar Bauch; Popow, Wolfsburg. The last three one also sell Paphiopedilum on ebay.
regards
Peter

WELCOME! Peter. From the Chicago Il. area. I'm sure you will learn as well teach here on this forum.... Jim.

Hello Jblanford,
first I want to learn something on this forum.
But I also can teach about my experience in growing Paphiopedilum
and reading several books about Paphiopedilum (Braem, Cribb, Koopowitz).
kind regards
Peter

Hi again Peter, and welcome from Luxembourg!!!! How are your phrags doing :) ? Jean

Hello JeanLux,
my phragmipediums are growing, but not all of them very well.
The Phrag. andreettae has only one grow left. The Phrag. besseae
in growing better and the Phrag. kovachii is growing very well.
Maybe it will bloom next year, I hope. A hybrid without a name (red)
will bloom soon, the Phrag. Sorcerors Apprentice is growing well,
but does´nt bloom this year.
many regards
Peter

Hello,
i have heard about Wubben Orchids.
In Germany my favourite Paphio breeder are: Franz Glanz, Unterwössen;
Baumann, Oberhausen, Asendorfer-Orchideenzucht.com, Hilmar Bauch; Popow, Wolfsburg. The last three one also sell Paphiopedilum on ebay.
regards
Peter

Well known names for me, allthough I've never been on a shopping trip in any of the 4 nurseries you mention.

Hello Howzat,
Guido Braem wrote in his book Paphiopedilum about the Genus
Paphiopedilum and the Subgenus Parvisepalum (armeniacum),
Subgenus Brachypetalum (bellatulum), Subgenus Polyantha
with Section Mastigopetalum (rothschildianum) and Section
Mystropetalum (parishii).
Peter

Thanks Peter
I think I used different terminology for polyantha, I term polyantha as Coryopetalum and do not sectionalise them. In my book and understanding there are subgenuses :, Paphiopedilum (charlesworthii, villosum etc), Barbata (calosum etc), Pardalopetalum (lowii, tigrinum etc), Cochlopetalum(liemiana, victoria reginae etc, Coryopetalum philippinenses, rothschildianum, praestan etc), Brachipetalum(bellatulum, concolor etc and Parvisepalum 9delenatii, armeniacum, hangianum etc).
But it is good to know that Dr Braem uses different terminology. Thanks again and hope you find this forum interesting, to say the least.

Most of the hippies have moved to the U.S. state of Oregon but there are still a few left in the Haight-Ashbury area of San Francisco.

Hello Nik,
very interesting to hear that your roots are in Germany.
The husband of my daughter now lives in Nordrhein-Westfalen
in the city of Ratingen where he had found a new job after
studying.
Many regards
Peter

Latest posts

Back