Paphiopedilums That Will Do Good Without Cooler Period

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happypaphy7

Paphlover
Reaction score
As large bulk of my collections have now moved to T8 light set up in my bedroom, I need to shuffle around my assortments.

The main issue is the temperature.
It is significantly warmer, day and night, then is outside. I have a fan going.
This will be for both summer and winter.

I could use AC to keep day and night temperature cooler during the summer, and crack the window open a bit during cooler months, but livingroom is no longer an option.

I am rather sad because I have gathered up large amount of parvis and such which benefit from having cool winter to do well long term and flower well.
I can keep some and have them by the window in the livingroom, but the space is very very limited.

I was getting so depressed the other day thinking that I might have to give up these plants and go back to Phalaenopsis and vandas. No!!!!!

Anyways, so for those of you, who are growing under lights and not in the basement which stay cooler, especially in the winter, what are some paphs that do well long term without having cooler period.

I mean, in the current bedroom, it won't even get down to 65F any more.
It will always be like summer.

Some of the ones I have searched are ones in the cochlopetalum, of which I have two species and intersectional hybrids, althought not such a huge fan of them.

Then, lawrenceanum, hookerae ( I have it), leucochilum & nevium (I have them, do like their leaves, but not too fond of these flowers, they all look similar) stonei (says mostly warm but also have a cool period right before flowering).... not many.

Most of paph seem to go through some cooler period at some point in their habitat.

I'm doomed! I guess it's time to move on and get used to a new love. lol

Paphs that require a higher low will also require a higher high, I'm finding that my godefroyaes, leucochilums, niveum, concolor & bellatulum hybrids & hangianum & hangianum hybrids take off at temps over 82 farenheit day temps and right at 68 night temp

Don't give up! You should be able to grow the multi florals fairly well in your conditions. Like Paph stonei, roth and hybrids, etc...warm and bright!

Also, successful plant culture is the intersection of many things - water, light, air movement, temperature, potting substrate, nutrients - and if other variables are in line, one doesn't have to worry as much about one aspect of culture most of the time.

David

Just about any plant will adapt to your conditions, david is right about multis will do good in your conditions!!! Kolopakingii, haynaldianum, phillipinense, sanderianum, rothschildianum, praestans aka glanduliferum will all do good in your conditions also adductum and var anitum, these multis natural habitats stay mostly warm year round

Paphs that require a higher low will also require a higher high, I'm finding that my godefroyaes, leucochilums, niveum, concolor & bellatulum hybrids & hangianum & hangianum hybrids take off at temps over 82 farenheit day temps and right at 68 night temp

Well, that temperature range is something I would be very happy with.
In the bedroom, it is already 75 at night, which is crazy.
During the day, it goes above 82. It is only a little over 70 outside today.

Night temp of 68 is very good for plants.

You can grow anything in any room, it just depends upon how much effort you're willing to expend.

That is not true.

Please read the first post in full and the temperature range I gave above in respond to Troy.

I am not going to blast AC for plants. I am going to have to grow what works with the conditions I have.

Don't give up! You should be able to grow the multi florals fairly well in your conditions. Like Paph stonei, roth and hybrids, etc...warm and bright!

Also, successful plant culture is the intersection of many things - water, light, air movement, temperature, potting substrate, nutrients - and if other variables are in line, one doesn't have to worry as much about one aspect of culture most of the time.

David

Thanks.

I read up on habitat info on multis.
In general I do not like care for multis. They get too big, which means I can only grow just a few and sacrifice everything else.
So back to the habitat, roth habitat info says it is not a warm grower, well, mostly warm temperature but it does go through considerably cooler period.

Stonie average temp shows higher than that for roth, but it says it does need slight cooling in the early spring before blooming.

Do people grow multis warm all the time without any fluctuation??
I don't think greenhouse people will understand because they will get natural fluctuation a lot better than city apartment.

Also, since I have a lot of parvis, they, especially armeniacum and micranthum do need cooler winter to do well and bloom well.
I know there are people who report some odd cases, but it is just that. It is not the norm.
I honestly think people who struggle with these plants have two mistakes.
One, keeping them too warm. Two, keeping them too dry.
Nothing else will compensate for them, again, I'm not talking about some odd plants that behave like they are something else.

Dennis olivas grows everything in an unheated uncooled greenhouse in east bay sf, and he blooms out everything catts, paphs, phrags, dendrobiums, what I'm saying is given enough time plants will adapt to your conditions, given they are not extreme hot or cold growers, then I gave you a list of multis that have a natural mostly warm habitat that would grow good in your conditions, given a 10 degree temp change from day to night for respiration

In short, my main concerns are night temp that are too high in any season (from now on) and winter day time temp being too high as well as night time temp as mentioned.

Unheated, uncooled greenhouse in east bay SF is a great environment, nothing like my hot apartment.

Just frustrated.

I guess I'll just pull out whatever do not thrive over time.
I would really hate to not be able to have lots of armeniacum and micranthum and related hybrids.
Time will tell while I wait for someone who has similar conditions report something.

I know many growers with light set up have their stuff at the basement or in a separate room where they can open windows or somehow manipulate conditions easier.

Fragrant Phalaenopsis will probably be my new friends. I don't know. This really upsets me.

Those multis I mentioned grow very close to sea level, so moderate year round they should do ok, although a drop in night temp helps with transpiration 10 degrees, is easily done, there are alot of research done on sleep temps & health, our bodies repair and produce human growth hormone when we sleep at lower temps between 65 & 70 research it :)

You can grown pretty much any paph in those temps. 65 nights 70 days. Actually the night is fine the day might not be hot enough for some Multis to grow at a fast rate but they will grow.

I know that lower night temperature is good for humans as well.
Hence, why people hate hot humid summer nights in NYC (well, without AC that is). just can't fall asleep!

The matter is a bit more complicated because now I grow in the bedroom and my significant other does not like AC. Go figure. lol

So, I have to deal with the conditions I have.

I don't like stonei, but I do have hybrids with it in it.
I guess time will tell.
I have Hsinying Lady Duck (seedling still), Pink Sky (multi growths but never flower lol) and some others.

I guess I will be fine with leuco and nevium as their leaves are pretty but the flowers are boring since they tend to look similar.
Oh, well...

You can grown pretty much any paph in those temps. 65 nights 70 days. Actually the night is fine the day might not be hot enough for some Multis to grow at a fast rate but they will grow.

Me? No, I don't have 65 night anymore. I wouldn't even be posting this if I did.

Right now, spring time still, I have well over 80 during the day (right now it is 86), and at night it won't fall below 75 even when outside temp is close to 65. I was up late til 3-4 to measure the room temperature. I am that stressed at the moment!

The worst would be say some summer, when it gets cooking hot here in the city, I run AC during the day and the temp is good, then at night, my partner will ask me to shut off the AC (except on those unbearably hot nights), then the night temp will be higher or similar to the day temp.
That would be bad for plants.

I wish I had a separate room to do whatever I want for plants. lol

Yeah, oh, well...

I will see what grows and blooms best in about one two years time from now, and I will start making some big changes in what I will grow.

well I had to literally give away more than half of what I had over 1,500 spent on premium plants because I had to move, it took some serious convincing my girlfriend to let me continue my hobby...... hopefully it works out for you!! good luck!!!!

I know, moving sucks.
I moved and this is now what I have to live with. hahaha

I basically traded living room windowsill space for an extra light stand in the bedroom. lol

If you are referring to me, I have no problems in that area, I've got quite a few goin in bloom here real soon

Latest posts

Back