Paphiopedilums That Will Do Good Without Cooler Period

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I basically traded living room windowsill space for an extra light stand in the bedroom. lol

Can you not utilise both? That way your brachy's and the like could stay on the living room windowsill and have the others in the bedroom under lights? I guess it's more complicated than that otherwise you'd have done it I guess...

I'd say get a new girlfriend who's willing to compromise
with your interests.

I got the impression Happypaphy7 was female so it'd more likely be 'get a new boyfriend' although I believe 'partner' is the new PC term that covers all the bases :p

Apologies if I've mis-read you there HP7 :D

I will do what I can, but I have to now grow mostly under lights and some by the windows, but all in the bedroom. I will see how things go.

For clarification, I am a man and I am happily married to a man. I'm not leaving him for plants. lol
Life is great in NYC! :)

Well, as crazy as it might sound at first, I can see unmarried (just because nothing legal or financial is binding them) not so happy relationship could use "great passion" for orchids as a great excuse to separate. and possibly and hopefully find a much better and working relationship in the future. :)

Otherwise, they need help. hahaha

Paphs that require a higher low will also require a higher high, I'm finding that my godefroyaes, leucochilums, niveum, concolor & bellatulum hybrids & hangianum & hangianum hybrids take off at temps over 82 farenheit day temps and right at 68 night temp

Hi troy==if only we had those temperatures. Today has been around 7c and tonight around 1c--- and it doesn;t get a lot better. we have weather here and not seasons!!!

Ed

Hi troy==if only we had those temperatures. Today has been around 7c and tonight around 1c--- and it doesn;t get a lot better. we have weather here and not seasons!!!

Ed
Do not complain, here the traffic was jammed due to heavy snowfall!:sob:

Ed

You have a nice clean greenhouse where you can keep them warmer than outside, though! :)

I know, it is strangely cool for late Spring here when we had cooking heat a few weeks back.
I was watching a soccer match yesterday (of UK), and everyone was dressed up as if it was a winter, now I know why.

Its like that months on end here (though daytime low 90s more common). Paphs grow great; but I do try to keep the parvis cooler with extra shade.

That's good to know. I'm working on locating some paphs to try but they are not easy to find in Peru. I can keep them cooler in one of our cooled grow areas but I am hoping they will tolerate the heat in the garden shade so they grow energy free. I may have some Maudiae types in a few weeks so we'll see what happens.

If your main concern is temperature, then what blooms for me will definitely bloom for you. lol. All brachys, all cochlopetalum and all multis fit the bill. And why limit yourself to species? Cochlopetalum x brachy as well as cochlo x multiflora crosses (which have smaller plant stature than multis and bloom semi-sequentially will flower well. Examples I have posted before are Ron Williamson (primulinum x niveum), Heeder Fladder (prim x godefroyae), Miss Faith Hanbury (niveum x glaucophyllum), Jogjae (glaucophyllum x praestans), Jolly Holiday (philippinense x liemianum).. There might be some novelty primary hybrids that can fit the bill (Angela, Olivia), although I have not tried them.

Thanks, but I know.
I already pointed out those groups that do well in the warmer conditions, niveum, leucochilum, colchol section, certain species in the Barbarta group, perhaps some multis (but I'm not into these).

Thing is these are what I am least interested in. lol
Hence the stress I'm going through.

I saw an anitum x liemianum in bloom at the s.f. poe show it was reletively small multi growth with semi sequentially blooms, looked really cool!!! If I had an extra 150.00 lol..

That's good to know. I'm working on locating some paphs to try but they are not easy to find in Peru. I can keep them cooler in one of our cooled grow areas but I am hoping they will tolerate the heat in the garden shade so they grow energy free. I may have some Maudiae types in a few weeks so we'll see what happens.

In my experience Maudiaes dont like the heat as much as multis etc.

Maudiaes types are more intermediate than warm growers with exception of a few species.
Mine always grow the best during cooler months of spring and fall.

You can grow anything in any room, it just depends upon how much effort you're willing to expend.

Over the years I learned this. The only thing I still havent managed to figure out are Masdies(cool growers). The humidity here in Baltimore can keep my Swamp cooler from keeping it cool enough during the day in Mid August. I adjust the shading on the GH for certain Microclimates for Paphs, Phals, Cattleyas, etc.

Latest posts

Back