Paphiopedilum malipoense

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrhappyrotter

Grand Chupacabra
Reaction score
Paphiopedilum malipoense

I can't take credit for the bloom, although I feel like I deserve some credit for the months and months and months of anticipation. It was in low spike back in September when I purchased it.

The flower has been opening up over the course of the past two weeks, and as you can tell, it's still got a lot of opening up to do. I wanted to post photos of it now, because I'm afraid my great-grandchildren might forget to post photos here in about 75 years when the flower is finally fully unfurled.

I can't really provide much in the way of cultural notes or elaborate more on the flower. This is one of my favorite slipper species, and yet, I've failed several times and killed my previous seedlings. This time around, I opted to go for a mature sized plants in hopes that it turns my luck around.

No fragrance yet, but some of these can smell quite wonderful.

MZBM1fyl.jpg

DyYeO5Cl.jpg

If it does fully open in my lifetime, I'll try to get back and post more photos of it.

Congratulations! I am now waiting 3 weeks and mine is not yet fully open!

Love it! I have two that are starting to slowly open, hope they make it and look as nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally, I don't like green flowers, but I certainly do like
this one. C'mon baby open up for your admirers.

Yeah?

I tend to agree, though for me, it's that I like things with spots and stripes and multiple colors over things that are one solid color (unless they do that solid color really nicely s.a. Paph. armeniacum). So, I like green just fine when its paired with super awesome stripes on the petals and really cool spots on the pouch (technically interior of the pouch, but they "show through"). And the staminode would be really eye catching on pretty much any slipper.

Very nice, congrats on blooming! It is a strange specie, I have more and only one was in bud yet, bud were growing 9 months , begun to open, and hoooops, suddenly bud fall down . 9 months....this time while a human "protocorm" turn to be a real man/women with all of his/her difficulties with organs, brain etc....I hate malipos for this....

Nice, I have two right now. One is 3 feet tall already and still growing. One is only half the stem length and already opening.

Latest posts

Back