Paphiopedilum ID

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Secundino

Adorable Stud
Reaction score
Not sure if I post this here, if it should be somewhere else, please move it!

Got a few pics from a friend to identify a Paphio; at first look it is a light P. insigne, at a second look - and as the flowers mature - there are some doubts. It is difficult to match the flowers either with any pic in the net (alas, I'm pretty sure a lot are badly identified) be it insigne, a insigne typeXsanderae, or P. Nitens. While the dorsal comes near to the big yellow forms of P. insigne, I've never seen so little spots on a insigne-type dorsal - a yellow form should be free o spots. Nitens could be an option - but neither the young nor the mature flowers show the typical brownish color, nor the darker upper half of the petals.
The plain green leaves are up to 35cm long.

What do you think this might be? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
I knew the 'beginner zone' wasn't the right place... to where do I move it, then?

I agree with your thought on it being paph Nitens (villosum x insigne). The petal shape is close to the villosum shape.

By the way, beautiful plant with great blooms.

The gratrixianum you can get over here, don't look like this plant, they always have a red blushing on both sides of the spotted center of the dorsal. And You unlikely get a real species at flower shops...
I'll keep it in mind however for next year.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Back