Paphiopedilum hangianum ‘First Class’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Stone

Reaction score
A completely magnificent flower! The leaf shot show how much K (and possibly other nutrients) has been removed from the leaves.

DrLeslieEe

Collector of new, rare and albino paph species
ST Supporter
Reaction score
A completely magnificent flower! The leaf shot show how much K (and possibly other nutrients) has been removed from the leaves.
You think it may be depleted of nutrients?

lori.b

Reaction score
Beautiful plant and great pics. I've had my hangianum since acquiring it as a seedling in 2013. It bloomed in 2019 and the second growth is well on its way. It's happy growing in Orchiata/perlite/charcoal in a plastic mesh pot and within months of repotting it last year the roots had already grown outside of the mesh. I really think they like an open mix in a pot that allows a lot of air circulation. Your plant looks like it was quite happy growing in a plastic mesh pot too so I'd repot it into another one with some fresh mix and not change things up too much.

Attachments

Hien

Reaction score
I assume that this one is as it has been self sterile so far in the attempts to breed it. I may send pollen to some breeders to attempt on their plants.
If I was you I will self it anyway, 2 flowers are enough to self , and saving some pollens at the same time . Since one never knows the circumstance why previous attempts by other peoples failed. The failing could be attributed to many variables:
-could be the timing , too early after its flower opened , or too late
-smearing the pollen , or smashing it in a solution before put on etc..
-or just pure luck , one never know .(one time I put a parvi paph pollen on a phrag , and it did take , resulted in a single plant , unfortunately after received it from the lab , I am not good with seedling, I killed it)

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Beautiful plant and great pics. I've had my hangianum since acquiring it as a seedling in 2013. It bloomed in 2019 and the second growth is well on its way. It's happy growing in Orchiata/perlite/charcoal in a plastic mesh pot and within months of repotting it last year the roots had already grown outside of the mesh. I really think they like an open mix in a pot that allows a lot of air circulation. Your plant looks like it was quite happy growing in a plastic mesh pot too so I'd repot it into another one with some fresh mix and not change things up too much.
Thanks Lori for the tip. What a great looking plant yours is. Does the bottom roots sit in a water tray? What’s your culture conditions throughout the year?

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
If I was you I will self it anyway, 2 flowers are enough to self , and saving some pollens at the same time . Since one never knows the circumstance why previous attempts by other peoples failed. The failing could be attributed to many variables:
-could be the timing , too early after its flower opened , or too late
-smearing the pollen , or smashing it in a solution before put on etc..
-or just pure luck , one never know .(one time I put a parvi paph pollen on a phrag , and it did take , resulted in a single plant , unfortunately after received it from the lab , I am not good with seedling, I killed it)
So I got good news. The first attempt did result in germination but transplanting failed. So I will self the plant. And send the rest of pollens to other breeders.

Will you attempt the cross again for phrag/paph? What species did you use?

lori.b

Reaction score
Thanks Lori for the tip. What a great looking plant yours is. Does the bottom roots sit in a water tray? What’s your culture conditions throughout the year?
My hangie thanks you. The roots don't sit in a water tray. I set the mesh pot on top of that 3" saucer (inverted) so air can circulate under the pot. Then I set them both inside the shallow larger pot the plant was sitting on in the picture. So I suppose some water stays a while after watering but it would definitely be evaporated by the end of the day. For year round culture I keep it pretty consistent with watering/fertilizing twice a week. I give weaker fertilizer in the winter and don't water too heavily. In the warmer weather I mist daily along with the twice weekly watering and make sure it gets a good soaking on the watering days. I grow it on the top shelf under T12 lights (I have an old light stand) but it gets A LOT of supplemental light from two skylights in my grow room. In the warmer months I leave one skylight open so it also enjoys the fresh air from outside along with the air circulating from a fan that I have going most of the day. The nights can cool down quite a bit with the skylight open, which I think it also enjoys. Good luck with your new baby!

DrLeslieEe

ST Supporter
Reaction score
Based on your culture I’m putting my net pot into a clear plastic container with leca clay on bottom. There is ample air between the net and plastic to allow air exchange. This way I can still see inside and check roots, while not letting water touch the net bottom. Might poke a few holes on sides too.

1E8A8E66-C66B-4FE3-8898-8E8FBB0BFB86.jpeg1131836C-76BD-4284-B424-398A5D3FAE6C.jpegABCB735E-1EFF-48ED-B254-9B9D54397B68.jpeg

musa

Reaction score
That is a great idea! I'll have to try net pots next repotting...
Now I have transparent pots in opaque ones just to prevent algae and still have full view on the roots.

lori.b

Reaction score
Based on your culture I’m putting my net pot into a clear plastic container with leca clay on bottom. There is ample air between the net and plastic to allow air exchange. This way I can still see inside and check roots, while not letting water touch the net bottom. Might poke a few holes on sides too.

View attachment 27081View attachment 27080View attachment 27082
Great idea Leslie! My roots are too crowded in the outer pot the net pot was in so I thought I'd try the same thing. Picture enclosed. The roots have already begun this season's growth so I'll keep a close watch on how they do in their new clear outer pot.

Attachments

Latest posts