Paphiopedilum hangianum ‘First Class’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful plant and great pics. I've had my hangianum since acquiring it as a seedling in 2013. It bloomed in 2019 and the second growth is well on its way. It's happy growing in Orchiata/perlite/charcoal in a plastic mesh pot and within months of repotting it last year the roots had already grown outside of the mesh. I really think they like an open mix in a pot that allows a lot of air circulation. Your plant looks like it was quite happy growing in a plastic mesh pot too so I'd repot it into another one with some fresh mix and not change things up too much.

Attachments

• 939F9B4C-82FD-4B39-A7CE-54F4086B7360.jpeg
    939F9B4C-82FD-4B39-A7CE-54F4086B7360.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 25
I assume that this one is as it has been self sterile so far in the attempts to breed it. I may send pollen to some breeders to attempt on their plants.
If I was you I will self it anyway, 2 flowers are enough to self , and saving some pollens at the same time . Since one never knows the circumstance why previous attempts by other peoples failed. The failing could be attributed to many variables:
-could be the timing , too early after its flower opened , or too late
-smearing the pollen , or smashing it in a solution before put on etc..
-or just pure luck , one never know .(one time I put a parvi paph pollen on a phrag , and it did take , resulted in a single plant , unfortunately after received it from the lab , I am not good with seedling, I killed it)

Beautiful plant and great pics. I've had my hangianum since acquiring it as a seedling in 2013. It bloomed in 2019 and the second growth is well on its way. It's happy growing in Orchiata/perlite/charcoal in a plastic mesh pot and within months of repotting it last year the roots had already grown outside of the mesh. I really think they like an open mix in a pot that allows a lot of air circulation. Your plant looks like it was quite happy growing in a plastic mesh pot too so I'd repot it into another one with some fresh mix and not change things up too much.

Thanks Lori for the tip. What a great looking plant yours is. Does the bottom roots sit in a water tray? What’s your culture conditions throughout the year?

If I was you I will self it anyway, 2 flowers are enough to self , and saving some pollens at the same time . Since one never knows the circumstance why previous attempts by other peoples failed. The failing could be attributed to many variables:
-could be the timing , too early after its flower opened , or too late
-smearing the pollen , or smashing it in a solution before put on etc..
-or just pure luck , one never know .(one time I put a parvi paph pollen on a phrag , and it did take , resulted in a single plant , unfortunately after received it from the lab , I am not good with seedling, I killed it)
So I got good news. The first attempt did result in germination but transplanting failed. So I will self the plant. And send the rest of pollens to other breeders.

Will you attempt the cross again for phrag/paph? What species did you use?

Thanks Lori for the tip. What a great looking plant yours is. Does the bottom roots sit in a water tray? What’s your culture conditions throughout the year?
My hangie thanks you. The roots don't sit in a water tray. I set the mesh pot on top of that 3" saucer (inverted) so air can circulate under the pot. Then I set them both inside the shallow larger pot the plant was sitting on in the picture. So I suppose some water stays a while after watering but it would definitely be evaporated by the end of the day. For year round culture I keep it pretty consistent with watering/fertilizing twice a week. I give weaker fertilizer in the winter and don't water too heavily. In the warmer weather I mist daily along with the twice weekly watering and make sure it gets a good soaking on the watering days. I grow it on the top shelf under T12 lights (I have an old light stand) but it gets A LOT of supplemental light from two skylights in my grow room. In the warmer months I leave one skylight open so it also enjoys the fresh air from outside along with the air circulating from a fan that I have going most of the day. The nights can cool down quite a bit with the skylight open, which I think it also enjoys. Good luck with your new baby!

Based on your culture I’m putting my net pot into a clear plastic container with leca clay on bottom. There is ample air between the net and plastic to allow air exchange. This way I can still see inside and check roots, while not letting water touch the net bottom. Might poke a few holes on sides too.

1E8A8E66-C66B-4FE3-8898-8E8FBB0BFB86.jpeg1131836C-76BD-4284-B424-398A5D3FAE6C.jpegABCB735E-1EFF-48ED-B254-9B9D54397B68.jpeg

That is a great idea! I'll have to try net pots next repotting...
Now I have transparent pots in opaque ones just to prevent algae and still have full view on the roots.

Based on your culture I’m putting my net pot into a clear plastic container with leca clay on bottom. There is ample air between the net and plastic to allow air exchange. This way I can still see inside and check roots, while not letting water touch the net bottom. Might poke a few holes on sides too.

View attachment 27081View attachment 27080View attachment 27082
Great idea Leslie! My roots are too crowded in the outer pot the net pot was in so I thought I'd try the same thing. Picture enclosed. The roots have already begun this season's growth so I'll keep a close watch on how they do in their new clear outer pot.

Attachments

• F1F7E4AB-8831-4BE5-8D6E-B34322032103.jpeg
    F1F7E4AB-8831-4BE5-8D6E-B34322032103.jpeg
    180.2 KB · Views: 24
Back