Paphiopedilum bellatulum 'SVO x Paphiopedilum Johanna Burkhart 'SVO'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the kind words. I love how you can see the bellatulum spots on the inner part of the petals and then the pattern fades more into the Johanna Burkhart pattern as you go outward. The trichromes on the margins of the petals and staminode are also very pleasing to me as an amateur botanist. Not a lot of pictures of this cross online so I thought it would be worth posting-

View attachment 31944

I'm a total noob when it comes to Pahiopedilum as I'm primarily a Cattleya grower. This is my first and only Paph and its blooming for the first time (with 2 buds on a spike!). I water this alongside my cattleya collection and it gets no special care otherwise.
Many thanks for sharing this. I have two of these with swollen bases, but no sheath yet. I hope they turn out as nice as yours. Mike

Many thanks for sharing this. I have two of these with swollen bases, but no sheath yet. I hope they turn out as nice as yours. Mike

This one grows really weird. The flowering growth was just a nub a year ago, I was expecting blooms from the first two new growths. When I repotted this fall none of the growths had developed roots yet. Maybe this is normal, I'm not an experienced Paph grower.

Reminds of the Rolfeis…. Stunning coloration! A very nice breeding line.

Derpy lol. Please explain?

Fred Clarke's image:
Paph_bellatulum-x-Paph_Johanna--Burkhardt180806.jpg

Taken from Urban Dictionary:
Derpy
Derpy means, quite weird or awkward, but also sort of funny at the same time.

Well, as another Paph noob (I grew two unsuccessful) I prefer the one posted at the top of this thread much more than the Fred Clark’s photo! No offence to Fred Clark but I like the deeper more saturated colour

Well, as another Paph noob (I grew two unsuccessful) I prefer the one posted at the top of this thread much more than the Fred Clark’s photo! No offence to Fred Clark but I like the deeper more saturated colour
May I add that one was a seedling and the other was climbing…the roots coming out of new growths (which were a lot higher up than the original growth) were destined to die. I took it to a prominent Paph grower in MN who pronounced it “Very Strange and Not Good!!!” He had no solution! Reminds me now of Phrags that climb their pot! Tray culture maybe would have saved it’s life!

Back