Paph wilhelminiae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two flowers! Mine's a bigger plant with a whole bunch of growths and starts and all it managed was one measly flower on the first spike :poke:

:clap:I love what can come out of such a compact size plant! I, too, like the openness of the flower!

Ed,
Beautiful flowers. To me, it looks atypical. It very well could be a wilhelminae but to me it looks too tall. The pouch is longer and narrower then most pictured here. Also, very few if any pictured here and in my care have a reflexed dorsal. I see by your tag it came from Andy's, does it have parents listed? It's just a guess but it looks as if this is a cross between wilhelminae and glanduliferum. What does others think?

Ed,
Beautiful flowers. To me, it looks atypical. It very well could be a wilhelminae but to me it looks too tall. The pouch is longer and narrower then most pictured here. Also, very few if any pictured here and in my care have a reflexed dorsal. I see by your tag it came from Andy's, does it have parents listed? It's just a guess but it looks as if this is a cross between wilhelminae and glanduliferum. What does others think?

Andy's tags won't have parents listed. Mine are also from Andy's but they may not be from the same original source given the time I've had mine vs Ed. When I talked to Andy about mine he claimed New Guinea highlands sourced parents (through OZ) of 1 generation back. If OZ is selective breeding wilhelms, then who knows what they will look like now after seeing what happened to besseaes.

The reflexed dorsal is pretty weird, but I've seen a fair amount of variation in spike height and leaf span for other plants labeled as wilhelm (also doesn't mean they've got some glanduliferum in them too though). It's hard to get a good scale factor on the photo (for judging leaf span and spike height), and the flower count is typical for wilhelm.

A longer term question I have concerns the relative isolation of highland (wilhelm) and lowland (glanduliferum) in New Guinea. Just like what we've heard of with sanderianum are we just seeing highland (small) and lowland (large) forms of the same species, and if the area was effectively searched (its difficult and expensive to search every last square inch of jungle), could you find a range of sizes between the areas (clinal variation). There is a degree of genetic isolation of the different popultions that will MOSTLY breed true, but the genes are still there, and after a couple of generations breeding in GH conditions you may get quite a bit of different expression.

I'd querry the leaf span rather than the flower details before speculating on the background.

When I was looking that this thread a few days ago I thought to myself his leaves look different than mine. The leaves on this plant seem to have a rounder tip than mine and the leaves look shorter.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10529&highlight=glanduliferum

Then Ernie posted a link to a man discussing the difference in the various "species" of this ________ and the author of the linked paper was writing that wilhelminiae had straight petals. ????????:confused:

Latest posts

Back