Paph. venustum album (Popow)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No venustum varieties, so far known to mankind, breed like true albums. If you find one, that does, you will be creating a true botanical sensation, i.e. a venustum with a flower entirely without chlorophylic pigment (no green), all white.
I think you took the 'album' definition literally here ;) .

In genetics, the term album lineage includes all white, yellows and greens that do not have coding of anthocyanins in floral parts. My point in this case with venustum measuresianum, these basal anthocyanin do not affect this genetic inheritance of these white/yellow/green progeny in the rest of the flower parts other than the basal warts.

Braem expounds lucidly on the subject of albinism in his monograph on The genus Paphiopedilum. According to his 'notes on albinism, there are only three species in the genus, that can produce true album (i.e. all white) flowers, namely P. bellatulum, P. godefroyae and P. niveum.
This is true. But there are others like micranthum var. kienii, delenatii album and possibly white forms of hangianum albums and emersonii albums (heresay but not proven).

I think you took the 'album' definition literally here ;)
I might have used it as a botanical term, as do Guido Braem and Olaf Gruß....and who am I to quibble with such preeminent and venerable gents?! :cool:

The so called album form of delenatii wouldn't really, deep down, pass muster with the two German gentlem, I would think. But they would grudgingly have to accept the name, no matter how wrong they find it, as this colour form (earlier: variety) has been validly published in accordance with the rules of ICN (The International Nomenclature for algae, fungii and plants). Just one glance at the flower should be sufficient to convince one that the epithet 'albo-flavum', white-yellow, is a more appropriate descriptive term than album, (all) white.

After a week here Is a quick update to see what changes have occurred in the shape of the flower.
A little recurving backwards of the petals.

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_145133800.jpg
    IMG_20211211_145133800.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211211_144635649_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211211_144635649_HDR.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20211211_144951971_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211211_144951971_HDR.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 11
Back