Yellow Spots And Drooping, Dying Paph Collection

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did. If you can prove that the humidity trays with a raise level and leca in the tray gives more humidity than just putting the plants together in a large tray and watering normally, I will send you a free plant!

I did. If you can prove that the humidity trays with a raise level and leca in the tray gives more humidity than just putting the plants together in a large tray and watering normally, I will send you a free plant!
That particular tray (50cm x 28cm or ~19½" x 11") had two Paphs on it, each in a 9cm (~3.5") pot when I measured so not many plants there. I tested on another one of my 'trays' as well ~115cm x 25cm (~45½" x ~15") populated by 3 plants right now of which the largest ones stand in 9cm (~3.5") pots. Sooo...
It was a very unscientific experiment only conducted about 4 or 5 times since yesterday, but each time I moved the hygrometer to the trays the humidity level rose with 6-7%. The hygrometer is usually with the ones not standing on trays to keep an eye on the general humidity level, so it seems that in my apartment the trays do have some benefits. Not much as I said, but it's always something. :D

Mutant, can you stick the hygrometer in the pots and take measurements? I expect you will see a much bigger difference... If you can't keep the roots sufficiently hydrated the you can't keep the plant hydrated.

Mutant, can you stick the hygrometer in the pots and take measurements? I expect you will see a much bigger difference... If you can't keep the roots sufficiently hydrated the you can't keep the plant hydrated.
I can't since it's too big.

I'm trying to make sense of your post but I can't really understand what you're saying. I've already had one severe brainfart tonight, so what's another one or five so here we go:

If I could stick the hygrometer down in the pots are you saying that the difference in humidity between the plants standing on trays and those that are not would be greater? Did I get it? Or? :confused:

Of course they work (the trays or whatever you use, I mean...), no need to meassure. If I have to add water ever second day in my aquaria, even more water evaporates from the top of wet lapilli. In winter I have to water them on a nearly dayly basis, as the plants do not get water regularly. In summer/during growing, the excess water is enough. And if you use terracotta pots as 'elevators' to have as much plants as possible in a small place, pots that sit in water and are always wet, than you have a nice humidity.
The trays help, naturally, to keep the floor clean and dry, but that is a secundary effect and not really important if you are a clean piglet like I am.
And back to the thread; if those severly dehydrated plants had a functioning tray beneath them, they would not look like that after only 6 months.

I can't since it's too big.

I'm trying to make sense of your post but I can't really understand what you're saying. I've already had one severe brainfart tonight, so what's another one or five so here we go:

If I could stick the hygrometer down in the pots are you saying that the difference in humidity between the plants standing on trays and those that are not would be greater? Did I get it? Or? :confused:

Ambient humidity affects evaporation. The higher the humidity in the air, the higher humidity in the pot, and the pot humidity is probably much higher...

Ambient humidity affects evaporation. The higher the humidity in the air, the higher humidity in the pot, and the pot humidity is probably much higher...
So I got it then? And yes, that's logical that it would work like that and if there's something my plants don't suffer from, it's dehydration. :rollhappy:

Hmm... maybe that's yet another reason why the root rot issue stopped when I started moving my plants away from the windows during night. They don't stand in the trays then, but on benches and the floor.

Latest posts

Back