we lost another one

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chicago Chad

Reaction score
George posted this on the AOS Facebook page:

Dear Orchid Friends,
It is with a heavy heart that I share the news that Mario Ferrusi passed away last Saturday, July 30.
Mario was an accomplished AOS judge, hybridizer, grower and friend to many in the AOS. He was known for his quality plants, especially those among the Masdevallia, Pleurothallis and Lycaste genera. Evidence of his growing skill is found in the combined 457 quality and cultural awards and the three special judging awards—the highest honor bestowed on anorchid by the AOS—that he received. How proud he was of each and every one!
A popular and sought-after speaker, Mario brought many into our expanded orchid family with his contagious excitement about what a new hybrid might look like, how best to set up a dazzling show display or what it would take to coax the best out of an orchid. It was his hands-on fun with orchids and his selfless dedication to nurturing that interest in others that drew so many of us to him.
Mario’s all-in commitment to orchids resulted in leadership positions within the Southern Ontario Orchid Society, the Toronto Judging Centre and the American Orchid Society, an organization dear to his heart and which he served earnestly. During his service on the AOS Board of Trustees and as a vice president, his was always a voice of passion yet reason. A humble man, he won fast friends and long-time fans with his commitment, generosity and knowledge.
Mario fought a hard battle over the last two years against lymphoma. His grit, determination and endurance were a worthy tribute to the collective beauty and strength that is the human spirit. Please join me in extending condolences to his wife Conni, his daughter Ilia and her husband, and sons Jared and Rhys. We will share details about a service as they become available.
Just as orchids enriched his life, Mario was determined that they enrich the lives of others as well. In his hands, they did just that.
Sincerely,
George Hatfield, President
American Orchid Society

This is so sad. I knew Mario and Conni fairly well. He was so knowledgeable and I learned a lot from him. He will be missed. R.I.P Mario.

I am absolutely heartbroken about this. Not only was Mario a mentor, but also a good friend. This is such a loss for the orchid community as he was truly dedicated, knowledgeable, and the best at what he did. It is amazing however, to see the care and support that has been given to his family by the orchid community. We're a good group of folks.
Eric, his collection is still at home and his family is managing to care for it with help. It will be sold off and the breeding program will likely be carried on by others. It's not an easy task to find homes for all his cool-growing gems.

Latest posts

Back