Paph. Spiderman

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have opened really well. I first thought they would carry that very nasty hooded sandy trait, but not at all! Good colour and great petals, this is going to be showstopper as a big plant.

Some may say it's light for anitum, but I love the color! Especially the contrast in the dorsal. It's a real winner. Congrats!

It looks very nice Dot. But with your trained eye(because I can't see the flowers in real life), do you see adductum/anitum influence in there? To me it looks like MK x sanderianum. Spiderman has long petals but the anitum really cuts the length down a little bit, yours look to sanderianum. Also anitums dorsal dominates usualy, at least in some color. Your dorsal and pouch look very sabderianum. Just wondering.

Super nice Dot. Love the long petals.

It looks very nice Dot. But with your trained eye(because I can't see the flowers in real life), do you see adductum/anitum influence in there? To me it looks like MK x sanderianum. Spiderman has long petals but the anitum really cuts the length down a little bit, yours look to sanderianum. Also anitums dorsal dominates usualy, at least in some color. Your dorsal and pouch look very sabderianum. Just wondering.

I disagree. Looks like MK * anitum to my eyes. I can see anitum in the dorsal. The dorsal is narrow due to the sanderianum so it is not as pronounced as some anitum hybrids. MK x sanderianum has way longer petals than this. From what I have seen with anitum hybrids, it has no influence on the petal length. It seems to allow the other species to completely dominate, hence anitum hybrids tend to have very long petals. In fact in some hybrids, the petals seem longer than either parent.

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to ID-ing parentage. This plant came from Piping Rock so I suspect and hope the tag is correct. The petals have grown a little since I photographed it, but they are nowhere near as long as my sanderianums' petals. I am disappointed that the dorsal isn't darker, but the pouch is quite dark as I had hoped.

I looked again and I still do not see it. Maybe the droid screen does not do it justice. But I seem to have the opposite opinion of the plants of this hybrids that I have seen compared to everyone else. When I visited a big nursery in Hawii I saw a good amount of spiderman in bloom at the time also some MK. All the spiderman had petals about half the length of the MK. Also the color on almost all of them was dark enough that you could spot it across the greenhouse that it was an anitum hybrid. I also bloomed about 5, 2 were from piping Rock. And they looked like anitum with extra long petals.Definitely had almost a straight anitum pouch with the slight marbling. I will see if I can find a pic. The only reason I asked was we are only talking 25% sanderianum and 50% anitum. Seemed like it would show through more.
But who knows, Maybe I saw a bunch of mislabeled plants:)

Anyway, I was just asking if Dot saw it in there because she can see the flowers in real life. If she see's it then that is good enough for me. You never know how these crosses will come out.

I didn't push it out of respect for Dot but I was a bit concerned when I didn't see any darkening in the dorsal before the flowers open. I don't see any anitum either.

I love the long petals.
I see a bit of anitum in the stripping of the dorsal - a bit.

I agree. I can see it clearly although not as dominantly as some anitum hybrids. Don't forget this is a secondary hybrid, not a primary hybrid. So you are going to see way more variation - not necessarily some intermediate between the two parents.

I wouldn't bother changing your label Dot. The others must have inferior monitors. :poke:

I think it is a mistake to concentrate on what this hybrid doesn't have when judging its parentage. For secondary or complex hybrids not all traits will be expressed or expressed equally amongst its offspring. I don't think you can say that the petals are much longer than the plants I have seen so it can't be right, especially when one of the parents involved has petals that can be a metre long. Same goes for the dorsal colour. Two of the three species doesn't have a dark dorsal, so there is a chance that some of the seedlings will not have a super dark dorsal like most of the anitum hybrids we see.

When judging the label, the focus needs to be on the traits we can see. Are there any traits expressed that would be impossible given the parents involved. Personally I can't see any. This plant looks perfectly plausible for a MK x anitum. As for a MK x sanderianum - the dark parts of the dorsal says there must be another species involved other than sanderianum and phillipinense.

I am normally the one disputing a label. Looking at the bloom, I would have to say that there is definitely an influence of adductum, even if it is not strong. We all like to see that strong anitum/adductum influence, but sometimes that is just not the case. I have to agree with David on this one.

Latest posts

Back