Paph. Yang-Ji Hawk (sanderianum x anitum)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spujr

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
P. Yang-Ji Hawk sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x adductum var. anitum 'AZG'.

Got this from another member, gego, so I can't take full credit. Technically the 2nd bloom, the first blasted. Only 1 flower which is a little disappointing but I just repotted it a month or so ago, so it might still be recovering. Good petal length, 22.5", dorsal color and width so-so. Petals nice ruby to purplish red.

Attachments

• 20230703_110210.jpg
    20230703_110210.jpg
    782.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 20230703_105830.jpg
    20230703_105830.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
Oh that's really good. I have one left so something to look forward to. That petal length is amazing. Match made in heaven indeed.

P. Yang-Ji Hawk sanderianum 'Lady in Red' x adductum var. anitum 'AZG'.

Got this from another member, gego, so I can't take full credit. Technically the 2nd bloom, the first blasted. Only 1 flower which is a little disappointing but I just repotted it a month or so ago, so it might still be recovering. Good petal length, 22.5", dorsal color and width so-so. Petals nice ruby to purplish red.
The anitum is clone ACE. Sorry for my hand writing.

Big potential in future. A nice dark one.

Sanderianum is so dominant in the hybrids … just gives it a dramatic presence.

I've tended to be disappointed with sanderianum hybrids in relation to petal length. They have often been shorter than you would have hoped for. Although I have noticed that the petal length of Michael Koopowitz's for example, are much longer than they used to be, so better parents are helping. A Michael Koopowitz here in Australia just received an FCC award with 79 cm petals. A truly remarkable plant.

This Yang-Ji Hawk is just wonderful and has lots of promise. Can't wait to see it flower on a bigger plant. Even though the petals are relatively short on anitum, for some reason its hybrids can have very long petals. The petals on anitum x phillipinense seem to be longer than either parent.

Is it a young plant? it seems so because as a newer hybrid, they sometimes need to get a few years of solid, good growth in order to really perform. If you can give her time, she will improve. There are 8 awards currently listed in my AOS database. All of them have similar overall coloring. I kind of have been thinking about your plant because it triggered my brain stem to start thinking about it. The hybrid name kept stirring around in my brain. I judged one shortly after arriving in Michigan. It belonged to Dot Barnett. It was very pretty.
I am sure that yours will improve with your good culture! Happy growing. I love almost every single flower produced within the group and I am fond of the reddish and golden yellow clones. I think that they are really beautiful plants!!

Yes, to me the plant seems to be "young" in size, though maybe not necessarily in age. The earlier shipping and repotting probably set it back in growth, plus I'm sure I still have to learn it's optimal growing requirements.

I have it placed in one of the lowest light levels in my growing area. I estimate it receives ~20 ųmol PPFD, 12hr per day (though I should probably measure it directly to confirm).

After looking back at some pure-sand flowers, I realized that this particular flower takes on less anitum than I've seen in other hybrids.

Latest posts

Back