Paph. Prince Edward of York

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A really nice one- right on the edge for me in terms of keep/don't keep. First bloom - 4 flowers. Blooms consistent except for degree of "shrugging" of petals. This second flower is the best overall but also shows the most shrugging. Dorsal its best feature I think, both in size and in orientation to make for a very open flower- but also great width on the petals. Good length so far as well on the petals - 28.5cm and not quite done. Dorsal is 4.5 x 7.3.

From Orchid Inn - (rothschildianum 'Dark Star' x sanderianum 'Lady in Red').

PEOY 04-24-23.JPG

would love to see the whole spike in natural ligh, please

Making room on the balcony to do this is a bit of a pain- but I am glad you asked since I am now seeing the color shows much better (meaning more accurately). I need to take all my shots outdoors going forward! Here is a shot of the spike and also of the third flower which is not fully open yet but already showing the best form overall of all the blooms.

PEOY full spike.JPGPEOY outdoors.JPG

Tom, how do you grow this? I’ve got one I can’t get to bloom. Light, temp, water??

Thank you all for your kind words.

@southernbelle I have to be careful about claiming too much credit for this one. While it is true I have been growing out sanderianum and roth both from seedlings under lights with good results, this and a number of other blooming plants I will post in the near future is the result of some recent purchases I made from Orchid Inn of remaining inventory. And so this came to me in short spike. I have gotten other similar things to bloom too- but again most of my experience is growing out things from flask to seedling size.

Temps are indoors all year around - so low to mid 70s day and night, plus figure an extra couple of degrees under the lights during the day. I try to water twice a week in the 4 inch pot size, so they are drying out to some degree between waterings but not completely. Light for these is the same strength under which I have been blooming big Cattleya but on average with the tips of the leaves 2-3 inches lower from the lights. Given the crown of the plants is lower than your average Cattleya leaf- that makes some difference too.

Tom - I’ve got a sibling of your plant blooming as well. In my (very amateur) opinion, yours displays more like what I think of when I imagine this cross. Better keep it! 😂

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpeg
    IMG_0136.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0135.jpeg
    IMG_0135.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0137.jpeg
    IMG_0137.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back