* sigh *

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnyr5

Reaction score
Welp, my first thaianum x Hellas bud blasted while I was away at the show. Can't have nice things. Looked like it was gonna be cool, too. Now to add insult to injury, someone will probably beat me to the punch to register it.

Attachments

• IMG_20240410_035808164.jpg
    IMG_20240410_035808164.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240410_035758366.jpg
    IMG_20240410_035758366.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Actually I think you can register it anyway, photos are optional. For complex hybrids at least. I've had to register a few oddball hybrids just to get awards processed. Sometimes you get plants with nested brackets (X x Y) x (W x {Z x N}) is a problem I've faced before, the AOS doesn't seem to care that I need to register 3 things before I register the new cross. Originator unknown is sometimes your only option. RHS gets money, AOS gets money, everybody gets paid except you.

If you are the orginator, then even better. I wouldn't feel bad at all about registering something that tried to bloom if I made the cross. I probably wouldn't do it because I'm cheap, but if other people are going to be jerks about it and you really want to name it, seems fair to me.

Actually I think you can register it anyway, photos are optional. For complex hybrids at least. I've had to register a few oddball hybrids just to get awards processed. Sometimes you get plants with nested brackets (X x Y) x (W x {Z x N}) is a problem I've faced before, the AOS doesn't seem to care that I need to register 3 things before I register the new cross. Originator unknown is sometimes your only option. RHS gets money, AOS gets money, everybody gets paid except you.

If you are the orginator, then even better. I wouldn't feel bad at all about registering something that tried to bloom if I made the cross. I probably wouldn't do it because I'm cheap, but if other people are going to be jerks about it and you really want to name it, seems fair to me.
Ethically, though, this is really not a good mentality. Just because a cross now exists either in-flask or out of flask, without the images of the flowers to prove the cross is viable and legitimate, I don't see the point.

There are many fraudulent crosses out there, either because they are impossible/highly unlikely to be compatible, or just flat-out lies, especially of these so-called "Phragmipaphiums" that there seem to be zero pictures of on the entire internet, but have nearly a dozen "registered crosses in that nothogenus.

Latest posts

Back