Paph. Spiderman

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure Glen will be able to shed anymore light on the identity then what you've gotten already. He didn't make the cross, it came out of Taiwan and he probably bought the minim of 6 from Hilo. I got his catalog today and he has a lot of multis listed. Most likely he is trying to turn them over quickly and not blooming many.

I'm not sure Glen will be able to shed anymore light on the identity then what you've gotten already. He didn't make the cross, it came out of Taiwan and he probably bought the minim of 6 from Hilo. I got his catalog today and he has a lot of multis listed. Most likely he is trying to turn them over quickly and not blooming many.

This is correct, Glen will probably not know anything else. It's funny I was talking with someone the other day who has a big nursery and they were telling me how they had one of the tables with a few hundred multis on it tip over. They said there was plants and tags all ovet the ground. But they were able to get the right tags back by the way the different crosses looked(the plants). I don't know about you but with multis that might be hard.
Accidents happen, and nurseries are just selling them by whats on the tag, as they should.
By the way, I was never trying to show Dot any disrespect by questioning it. I was just wondering because it didn't seem like most I have seen.

I see want you mean David but even Robert admits to the possibilities of label mixing. Two things are for certain Dot, it will look much different on the next blooming and the current dorsal is unusually wide for a double shot of sanderianum. They also look fairly flat, which would go against the idea of MK back-crossed to sanderianum as parents. I don't have Spiderman nor MK X sandie to compare but what I do have is Spiderman X sandie which could be interesting to see if the adductum/anitum comes through.

Glen did write back. Basically what he said was that anitum doesn't always "shine through" on all of its hybrids. He observed that my plant has very "clean color" which was intensified by anitum, as well as the darker markings. He said he's seen others from the same source as this plant and thinks the name stands true.

Then he said that if I didn't want it I could return it and he'd be pleased to take it back. :)

That is certainly not my intention -- in fact I am entering into a show this weekend (Michiana).

Glen did write back. Basically what he said was that anitum doesn't always "shine through" on all of its hybrids. He observed that my plant has very "clean color" which was intensified by anitum, as well as the darker markings. He said he's seen others from the same source as this plant and thinks the name stands true.

Then he said that if I didn't want it I could return it and he'd be pleased to take it back. :)

That is certainly not my intention -- in fact I am entering into a show this weekend (Michiana).

Way to go Dot! Good luck for the show:)

I see want you mean David but even Robert admits to the possibilities of label mixing.

Well he didn't say the labels were mixed up, just that there is always a chance that could occur. Heck, I could find a million dollars tomorrow. :)

OK, what about these then? These are both Shin-Yi Saint (Sander's Pride x St Swithin). Both plants come from the same grower and were awarded on the same day. So we can pretty safely conclude they came from the same flask. The petals on the first clone are 44cm while they are only 15cm on the 2nd clone. Labels mixed up again? :)

Once you start getting into complex hybrids with multiple species, the possible outcomes are almost endless. Given we are now starting to grow more of these complex multi hybrids, if we question every clone that doesn't look like what we would expect or hope or seen before, we are going to have a lot of mislabelled plants.

I have one of these if it ever gets going. Hope it turns out like the first one.

Whew David! Remind me to never question a label ever again! Personally, I think this debate has been cornered by yourself, fortunately I never disputed the tag (for a change), ......wow!

Whew David! Remind me to never question a label ever again! Personally, I think this debate has been cornered by yourself, fortunately I never disputed the tag (for a change), ......wow!

Well how can we have a vigorous debate if you won't start one? :poke:

I get your point. I can tell no one is really interested. My apologies to everyone for my rant, especially to Dot for drawing attention away from her wonderful flower. Personally I'd be pretty happy with that outcome and would welcome it in my collection. I'll drop off now.

Yeah, I don't want to say anything again. I am going back to saying oooh and ahhh at the flower pictures.

Yes, good luck at the show Dot we're pulling for you and your Paph Spiderman!

I never said anything about changing labels. I said I don't see any anitum in the cross, I still don't. But the label is what it is and the plant is labeled as such. There is no solid proof saying otherwise so this is Spiderman.

I think people are getting too sensitive here. I don't mind people questioning my tags -- I've had my share of erroneous ones. It gives me a chance to do some more research and learn more. In this case, It gave me a reason to chat with Glen and learn a little more from him.

So, David, I am interested in your observations and opinions, as well as all the counter-info. That's one of the good things about this forum.

I think people are getting too sensitive here. I don't mind people questioning my tags -- I've had my share of erroneous ones. It gives me a chance to do some more research and learn more. In this case, It gave me a reason to chat with Glen and learn a little more from him.

So, David, I am interested in your observations and opinions, as well as all the counter-info. That's one of the good things about this forum.

Im with you.
Respectful discussion/debate/arguments are how I learn and see others perspective (even if they are always wrong!)

Yeah, I don't want to say anything again. I am going back to saying oooh and ahhh at the flower pictures.

Don't do that. That is why I left the Slipper Orchid forum to come here. There was no discussion over there at all. Just ooh's and ahhh's. I guess when you start a discussion people will have different opinions but there is nothing wrong with that.

First thing, nice hybrid, Dot... But IMHO, it very closely resembles MK x sanderianum which thelink has posted before... Different clones show variation of course..

David, IMHO the plant pictured above has a generous shot of lowii inside.. I'm inclined to think a Julius hybrid instead of one of the parents...

I dunno. Possibly. The red colour could also come from the phillipinense parent. Hell of a lot of stonei came through in that one. Julius hybrids are extremely rare as it is quite infertile. They are out there but there's not a lot of them.

Last edited:
Spiderman got a blue ribbon for it's class, and a third in the first bloom seedlings class.

My sanderianum got a blue ribbon and a trophy for its class, and a first place for first bloom seedlings. :D

Latest posts

Back