Paph Season 2023

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was excited for this Hung Sheng Cape because of the massive sepals as it was opening, but then the dorsal reflexed and ruined it. This is the fourth plant of this grex I've bloomed and the first definite cull. I could forgive the mediocre color and crooked stonei pouch if it had stayed flat but reflexing in this grex is a fatal flaw IMO.

20231002_145038_copy_1530x2040.jpg
20231003_162119_copy_1530x2040.jpg

All four flowers are open now on the funky little supardii.

20231002_145131_copy_1530x2040.jpg

I was excited for this Hung Sheng Cape because of the massive sepals as it was opening, but then the dorsal reflexed and ruined it. This is the fourth plant of this grex I've bloomed and the first definite cull. I could forgive the mediocre color and crooked stonei pouch if it had stayed flat but reflexing in this grex is a fatal flaw IMO.
I can follow your thoughts, Tony.....but must admit, that I find the slight spicerianum-like dorsal not without some charm. Glad the other 3 better lived up to your harsh standards! ;)

Maybe, #4 could find a good home with some transatlantic ST-member (your side of the pond, I mean) who would be happy and love it!

My Raingreen's Sandi Hawk is blooming again, and made for a frustrating day at judging. There is one prior award to the grex, an 85 point AM. I sent this one up believing it should surpass the prior and the judges all seemed to agree, the commentary was unanimous that mine was superior to the prior in form, color, and size. HOWEVER, they declined to score it citing assymetry in the staminode as a disqualifying flaw. The description for the prior award makes no mention of the staminode, nor does the award photo clearly show the full staminode. Quite disappointing for a feature that did not merit any attention on the first plant disqualified mine that should have walked away with a higher award.

I'll try it again on another blooming and hope for a different judging team in a better mood.

20231023_153202_copy_1530x2040.jpg

Latest posts

Back