Two Awards

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We made the three hour trek to the Triad Orchid Society show today and walked away with two awards. Paph Wössner Black Wings 'Gabby' is my second AM to WBW, and Nottara Lucy's Sassafrass 'Tightie Whitie' is my first FCC. Both plants are named for beloved pet snakes that have passed.

View attachment 32912View attachment 32913View attachment 32914View attachment 32915
Congratulations! Looks like a very impressive dorsal on the WBW. Is that a first blooming? What is the parentage? How many WBWs did you bloom to get the 2 AMs? Pardon all the questions but trying to learn more about MFs.

Congratulations! Looks like a very impressive dorsal on the WBW. Is that a first blooming? What is the parentage? How many WBWs did you bloom to get the 2 AMs? Pardon all the questions but trying to learn more about MFs.

This was a second bloom, it bloomed first in 2020 then took a year off. The first bloom was not nearly as nice but I could see the potential and kept it. 'Bitis Botanical', my first AM, was actually the first WBW I bloomed. I have bloomed a handful in between but they need to put on some size yet before I can judge them fairly.

'Bitis Botanical' came from Taiwanese breeding, an unnamed roths × anitum 'Sunlight'. 'Gabby' had no parent clonal names on her tag.

Attachments

• IMG_20200418_120147_517.jpg
    IMG_20200418_120147_517.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 8
Here is 'Bitis Botanical'. The award photos do it no justice, the usual photographer couldn't make it that day and they had to make do with someones kid shooting pics on a white wall with a desklamp 😂

Attachments

• IMG_20200307_181859_647.jpg
    IMG_20200307_181859_647.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20200307_181859_639.jpg
    IMG_20200307_181859_639.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20200307_181859_645.jpg
    IMG_20200307_181859_645.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20202408-6.jpg
    20202408-6.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20202408-7.jpg
    20202408-7.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 5
  • 20202408-10.jpg
    20202408-10.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 4
Here is 'Bitis Botanical'. The award photos do it no justice, the usual photographer couldn't make it that day and they had to make do with someones kid shooting pics on a white wall with a desklamp 😂
This was a second bloom, it bloomed first in 2020 then took a year off. The first bloom was not nearly as nice but I could see the potential and kept it. 'Bitis Botanical', my first AM, was actually the first WBW I bloomed. I have bloomed a handful in between but they need to put on some size yet before I can judge them fairly.

'Bitis Botanical' came from Taiwanese breeding, an unnamed roths × anitum 'Sunlight'. 'Gabby' had no parent clonal names on her tag.
Both look awesome. The Bitis dorsal seems a bit darker. Seems like show winners for this cross can come from a variety of parents. How or where can you get these Taiwanese crosses?

Both look awesome. The Bitis dorsal seems a bit darker. Seems like show winners for this cross can come from a variety of parents. How or where can you get these Taiwanese crosses?

The big wholesale dealers import tons of Taiwanese plants so they're pretty available on the market from resellers. You could also import flasks yourself, I've heard good things about dealing with Formosa Orchids for that but haven't jumped through all the paperwork hoops myself yet.

The big wholesale dealers import tons of Taiwanese plants so they're pretty available on the market from resellers. You could also import flasks yourself, I've heard good things about dealing with Formosa Orchids for that but haven't jumped through all the paperwork hoops myself yet.
Thanks Tony.

I couldn't believe it. I grabbed a few of them as seedlings from SVO on a whim a couple of years ago. When I decided to take that WBW up for judging I looked around for other stuff I had blooming and might be worth taking along, I saw that Nottara compared pretty favorably to the other awards but I was thinking it would be an HCC or maybe another AM. I never thought I would have an FCC so soon, this was only the second time I've submitted plants for judging.
Good for you! Go for it even if you aren’t sure. Never underestimate your plants!!

Latest posts

Back