Paph sanderianum 'Rapunzel' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wendy are you going to self it or cross it? I remember reading that the nursery was unsuccessful in getting pollen to take.

I am not using the pollen myself but a few people have spoken for it. I too have heard the success rate isn't great....there are hybrids made with it but selfings haven't worked.

Roth...were do you get all your info? Interesting. I will check and see how this plant came to be here in Canada.

I am not using the pollen myself but a few people have spoken for it. I too have heard the success rate isn't great....there are hybrids made with it but selfings haven't worked.

Roth...were do you get all your info? Interesting. I will check and see how this plant came to be here in Canada.

Well, I substantially supplied the trade in this kind of selected plants to be honest in a distant past... So I know some competitors, some friends, some competitor-friends too, and we discuss quite freely.

The selfing work for sure, just give it a try. Sometimes specific growing conditions make the plant become 'sterile'.

Updated photos.....

Attachments

• Rapunzel & Yellow Tiger Sept152011 009.JPG
    Rapunzel & Yellow Tiger Sept152011 009.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 46
  • Rapunzel & Yellow Tiger Sept152011 016.JPG
    Rapunzel & Yellow Tiger Sept152011 016.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Rapunzel & Yellow Tiger Sept152011 022.JPG
    Rapunzel & Yellow Tiger Sept152011 022.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 25
Paph. sanderianum is generally considered as a difficult species to grow. Added to that you live in Canada where is quite cool in my sense, you are really a fantastic grower and are an idol to me. Nice flowers by the way.

I think its interesting that Canadian growers seem to have this one bloom August/September, but farther south its usually late spring early summer. Or maybe its just this clone?

On top of that Wendy grows under lights indoors.

Wendy do you change light or temp range during the year?

I do change the light hours with the seasons. The temps also fluctuate to match...growing in a basement makes it easier to get the temp swings.

Paph. sanderianum is generally considered as a difficult species to grow. Added to that you live in Canada where is quite cool in my sense, you are really a fantastic grower and are an idol to me. Nice flowers by the way.

It's not just ''quite cool''. It's friggin' freezing nearly six months of the year. :eek:

It was selfed today...keep your fingers crossed. :clap: I took it over to visit with 'Uncle John M' and he took a bunch of photos in natural light. Hopefully they turn out great and he'll post a couple.

Selfing will work, the pods mature in 3 months by the way...

For the blooming season of sanderianum, in the wild they bloom in april may, and again in october-november. They have two blooming season. What is amazing in the wild, they are nearly all synchronized in an area, so they are all in bloom at the same time over many mountains. It usually takes 18 months for a sanderianum, not pollinated..., to mature a growth, which accounts for the double blooming season.

placed your pollen on a nice gardineri that just bloomed..hopefully will take
was going to wait for one of the sanderianums to bloom but the pollen was little dry ..didnt think it would last

Wendy stopped by my place a couple weeks ago to let me see 'Rapunzel'. I took a few photos. Here are the best two:

sandie4-2.jpg

sandie7-2.jpg

Back