Guaranthe (syn. Cattleya) skinneri fm semialba ‘Judy Bach’ AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrLeslieEe

Scholar, Addict and Aficionado of Orchidacea
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a division from a rare plant that is supposedly semialba.

But as it’s blooming first time for me, I noticed that it is more albescent pink whereas the petals/sepals were supposed to be (in theory) white. I then reread the award and then realized it was light blushed pink (not perceptible in the pics).

A theory why mine has more pink than the award pic might be I used really high light and some additives (eg Kelp) that increases color.

It’s still beautiful but not as I expected 🤔.

See for yourselves:

BB6AF69E-D688-4C8D-B852-00E4B35E2E67.jpeg4C33CD66-6D9E-4105-8A2F-92AF55BDA3BF.jpegFB2F310B-2753-4657-8918-7D9FC71D708B.jpeg
B01A0656-4963-4212-97F4-35E94C974435.jpeg
Oops award was a JC, nor AM.

Or it just isn't a stable true semi-alba.
The blushing could be random with or without environmental cues affecting it. I don't see how Kelp has anything to do with flower colors?
Or it has mutated to this color.
Based on the plant size, I assume that this is your very first time blooming this division? Bloom it a few times and see how they look each time. That might give you a better idea as to whether or not this color is stable.

Or it just isn't a stable true semi-alba.
The blushing could be random with or without environmental cues affecting it. I don't see how Kelp has anything to do with flower colors?
Or it has mutated to this color.
Based on the plant size, I assume that this is your very first time blooming this division? Bloom it a few times and see how they look each time. That might give you a better idea as to whether or not this color is stable.
Yes it the most plausible methodology to determine the fate of this plant (that bloomed first time since being chopped up 🤭).

Latest posts

Back