Paph sanderianum 'Rapunzel' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, that's beautiful--I've always heard that sanderianums are notoriously slow growers. Can't believe yours grew so quickly! I can barely coax my hybrids to put out 6 growths in 2 years...amazing.

I envy you, Wendy. This is one plant that I failed to grow well. I know that I don't have the condition right.
Do you heat your GH?? If so what is the range of temperature do you have??
In winter I only heat the night temp to a min of 10C, when outside is 2-4C. The day temp without heater range 22-24 in winter. Maybe I should bring it up to say 16C with day temp to 28C.??????. I also just bought a fogger, so hopefully I can control the humidity to 60-70% this coming summer.

Amazing. An unbelievable job growing it. I have never heard of a sanderianum putting out six new growths and blooming in two years. That must be an extremely vigourous clone in addition to your excellent culture.

Thanks everyone!

I find that multis grow slowly when raised as a seedling to a single growth, but the rate of growth starts to 'snowball' when the plant reaches maturity. It also helped that this was a division of an already very mature plant. As soon as the second growth matured, it sent out two new growths immediately...they grew very quickly and then one of those sent out one new growth and the other, two growths. That's when these two decided to bloom. At this rate it may bloom on three growths the next time it flowers.

I grow indoors in a special room built by my husband. Two HID lights, a fan 24/7, a mist maker and a humidifier. Temps mid 60's f nights and low to mid 80's f days. I use rain water and fertilizer is 7-11-27. I also top dress with that pelleted slow release ferilizer (about 10 pellets ever couple months for a big pot) and limestone screenings for the ones that require it. Nothing special but they do seem to like it.

Attachments

• Paphsanderianum'Rapunzel'AMAOSSept102011 020.JPG
    Paphsanderianum'Rapunzel'AMAOSSept102011 020.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 65
"Rapunzel", very nice clone!

Please, take a photo when the petals will have their definitive length.

Impressive growing!! Would love to see update pictures later of this magnificent plant :)

Really beautiful well grown plant... I found out slow release to be important for multis ( using nutricote/Molcoat at 30 pellets/12 cm pot as a standard in addition to the normal feeding). Most likely because the slow release releases... a lot of ammonium.

It's funny too that about 5-15 years ago, most wild sanderianum were slow growing and easy to intoxicate with iron... I still have plants from that time, and iron toxicity is a very big problem. I got fresh jungle plants several times, and recently the new colonies are not susceptible to iron.

Rapunzel was sold by Azadehdel by the way, originally, and Alexander Voon was the collector in Sarawak (strange life, now he lives a few meters from Orchiata/Pacific Wide office in Christchurch !!!)..

Latest posts

Back