Paph. rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took the long drive to the Deep Cut show today and bought a number of phrags and one paph. I bought I rothschildianum 'Tiger' x 'Red Eagle' AM/AOS. Do you roth experts think this is a good set of parents? The tag appears to have come from Hilo Orchids. This has a single growth with a 23 inch leaf span so I'm thinking it is blooming size or at least near blooming size. I usually leave the multis. alone but the price was right so I grabbed it. Maybe I should have said I THINK the price was a good one as I know they price has fallen over the last number of years.

I took the long drive to the Deep Cut show today and bought a number of phrags and one paph. I bought I rothschildianum 'Tiger' x 'Red Eagle' AM/AOS. Do you roth experts think this is a good set of parents? The tag appears to have come from Hilo Orchids. This has a single growth with a 23 inch leaf span so I'm thinking it is blooming size or at least near blooming size. I usually leave the multis. alone but the price was right so I grabbed it. Maybe I should have said I THINK the price was a good one as I know they price has fallen over the last number of years.
There is no Hilo Orchids on the Deepcut show's vendors' list though .
which one did you buy the paph from ? was it Woodstream ?

I bought it from Fair Orchids, but they bought it from James Fang of Hilo Orchids. They only had two roths and they were both from Hilo but with different parents.

You mentioned Woodstream, so let me tell you what I found slightly odd about a very limited number of paphs that they were selling. There was maybe 4 to 6 when I arrived about an hour an a half after they opened the event. Those 4 or 6 were from Orchid Inn. I was thinking of getting a couple but while I was on the other side of their table someone else grabbed them all. Don't misunderstand me Woodstream had more paphs for sale but not from Orchid Inn. Woodstream was light on the paphs and heavy of the phrags.

Seems too easy

Attachments

• 20230205_142935.jpg
    20230205_142935.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_142916.jpg
    20230205_142916.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_142908.jpg
    20230205_142908.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_142855.jpg
    20230205_142855.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_142833.jpg
    20230205_142833.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_142744.jpg
    20230205_142744.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230205_142732.jpg
    20230205_142732.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Few more.
Finally picked up my Phrag order from Woodstream and got an album Epidendrum from Ecuagenera.
As per slippertalk member's recommendation , I sent Woodstream an email , they did not answer me (of course that meant I didn't have a list of what they have either) , consequently I could not order anything , so sad!

I bought it from Fair Orchids, but they bought it from James Fang of Hilo Orchids. They only had two roths and they were both from Hilo but with different parents.

You mentioned Woodstream, so let me tell you what I found slightly odd about a very limited number of paphs that they were selling. There was maybe 4 to 6 when I arrived about an hour an a half after they opened the event. Those 4 or 6 were from Orchid Inn. I was thinking of getting a couple but while I was on the other side of their table someone else grabbed them all. Don't misunderstand me Woodstream had more paphs for sale but not from Orchid Inn. Woodstream was light on the paphs and heavy of the phrags.
What happened to me was even worse than what you experienced . I picked 2 colmanara of 2 different clonal varieties, there were many "Peach" plants but just 1 single "Carmela" plant left , I took 1 "peach" and the last "carmela" , a few phrags , asked Ecuagenera to keep them for me in one of those plastic boxes (customers' bought items) at the back , went I came back , I saw some ladies picking plants in the back (evidently, they thought those plants in the back also part of the sale )
Once I got home, pulling out my plants , 2 saw two plant of the exact Peach "clone" .
That meant , someone went to the back area, saw that the Carmela is nice, and decided to dropped his/her "Peach" into my box , and take the Carmela instead .
(I would like to think that they mistakenly thought the plants in the box were part of the sale , since the booth attendants were so busy with the swarming customers did not notice, therefore didn't have the chance to tell them, the plants were sold)
With any plants in the back area, I always inquire whether the vendor has more plants still under the tables, or the back , and ask for permission to look for those plants , plus verify with the seller if certain plants had been spoken for already .

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I will try to share their latest lists.
Bill and Lynn still work full time jobs along with raising their son and a whole mess of orchids! When I saw Bill at the Paph Forum he said they had something like 10 straight weekends with shows coming up. I doubt they will produce a new price list until that marathon is over, and I know he sells out pretty quickly on many items so he probably wouldn't reply with an old list.
Dave

Bill and Lynn still work full time jobs along with raising their son and a whole mess of orchids! When I saw Bill at the Paph Forum he said they had something like 10 straight weekends with shows coming up. I doubt they will produce a new price list until that marathon is over, and I know he sells out pretty quickly on many items so he probably wouldn't reply with an old list.
Dave
was the petite lady with white hair & very sweet natured at the show his wife ?

Bill hasn't put out a new list in a few months (or at least thte last one i got was from summer/fall '22)... and he did have things that haven't yet been included in a published list.. e.g., tetzlaffianum x humboldtii... i bought the last 3 he had... he also had some new phrag flasks...

Back