My best Rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took a look at their website. I see they've bought in plants of rothschildianum from Orchid Inn (now out of business), Orchidweb, Paph Paradise, and have some of their own as well. The one that looks most like yours is

Paphiopedilum rothschildianum (‘Paradise City’ x ‘Dark Angel’)

It is not Paradise City x Dark Angel, all the ones that bloomed/are blooming were grown by me to NBS/BS in the Old Continent as we say... and it is not one of them.

That's a very good roth for sure and the parents are of the same style as Paradise City/Dark Angel definitely...

To get it to clump, they need to be kept wet and lots of fertilizer, oversize pots. They clump more readily in rockwool in fact, but even in bark they need a lot of food... High urea content for the nitrogen source, Dolokal on top of the potting mix, and that does the trick. You will get 2 new growths usually out of the old one. The 3rd appears when the 2 others are already growing well, and not all roths do it.

It is not Paradise City x Dark Angel, all the ones that bloomed/are blooming were grown by me to NBS/BS in the Old Continent as we say... and it is not one of them.

That's a very good roth for sure and the parents are of the same style as Paradise City/Dark Angel definitely...

To get it to clump, they need to be kept wet and lots of fertilizer, oversize pots. They clump more readily in rockwool in fact, but even in bark they need a lot of food... High urea content for the nitrogen source, Dolokal on top of the potting mix, and that does the trick. You will get 2 new growths usually out of the old one. The 3rd appears when the 2 others are already growing well, and not all roths do it.
Thank you for the above Roth. I potted it up into the current pot when I got it back in December. The current pot is much larger than the one it was in (see pics). I potted it in bark and added some limestone chips. I bought some urea after it being suggested in this forum previously. The urea is 46 -0-0. I added two teaspoons (approx 10g) to 9 litres some magnesium sulphate a pinch of rainmix for trace elements as I use rain water and sea weed extract at 1.5 times the recommended concentration. I never thought of growing a paph in Rockwool, would this just be for Rothschildianum? I do have rockwool which I use for my phrags. After this Rothchildianum has stopped flowering would you suggest I pot on into rockwool? I'm also keen to put a pod on it with pollen from another Rothschildianum, would reporting impact that? Many thanks

Attachments

• 20240217_132635.jpg
    20240217_132635.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240217_132558.jpg
    20240217_132558.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231215_172556.jpg
    20231215_172556.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Great Job Luke - think you got in Mid Dec 2023 from memory from us - definitely NOT Paradise City x Dark Angel - we have some of those from Xavier which are coming into bloom now hopefully.

Yours Chris was one of half a dozen we got from a mixed collection. Looks really good - imagine what it could do in a bigger pot!! we always under pot ours for fear of rotting and lack of space!

Thank you for the above Roth. I potted it up into the current pot when I got it back in December. The current pot is much larger than the one it was in (see pics). I potted it in bark and added some limestone chips. I bought some urea after it being suggested in this forum previously. The urea is 46 -0-0. I added two teaspoons (approx 10g) to 9 litres some magnesium sulphate a pinch of rainmix for trace elements as I use rain water and sea weed extract at 1.5 times the recommended concentration. I never thought of growing a paph in Rockwool, would this just be for Rothschildianum? I do have rockwool which I use for my phrags. After this Rothchildianum has stopped flowering would you suggest I pot on into rockwool? I'm also keen to put a pod on it with pollen from another Rothschildianum, would reporting impact that? Many thanks

Very well grown plant. I would not change anything about your culture.

When the roots are fully established I would put it into bigger pot.

Great Job Luke - think you got in Mid Dec 2023 from memory from us - definitely NOT Paradise City x Dark Angel - we have some of those from Xavier which are coming into bloom now hopefully.

Yours Chris was one of half a dozen we got from a mixed collection. Looks really good - imagine what it could do in a bigger pot!! we always under pot ours for fear of rotting and lack of space!

Great plant for sure, and sold honestly as generic rothschildianum, which has to be praised in this world for sure! Indeed you should bloom the ones from me soon. I have the unfair advantage of lots of space, and full weather controlled greenhouse actually, which speeds up the things for certain!

Great plant for sure, and sold honestly as generic rothschildianum, which has to be praised in this world for sure! Indeed you should bloom the ones from me soon. I have the unfair advantage of lots of space, and full weather controlled greenhouse actually, which speeds up the things for certain!
Thanks - very kind.

I'll post the plants from you as soon as they open! very excited - Thanks Xavier.

This is comfortably the best Roth I have ever bloomed. To me, it has everything, size, colour, flower count (for a first bloom with 4). I'm not sure of the pedigree as I just bought it as a 'Roth', based on the leaves. I liked how symmetrical they were, a perfect fan shape. I can only assume the parents must have been pretty good.
It’s beautiful, congrats!

Latest posts

Back