Paph rothschildianum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wendy

Just me!
Reaction score
I haven't posted on here much lately as my collection has shrunk to only 5 plants and I have been golfing almost daily. Three of my five plants are currently in bloom......

This is a first bloom 'seedling' of Paph rothschildianum 'Daya Red' x 'Tiger. I got it a few years ago from John Doherty at Zephyrus Orchids as a single growth seedling. It is now multi growth and blooming for the first time. It had three sheaths so I sent it to John M's greenhouse for 3 months and that seemed to trigger the sheaths to develop. I stupidly snapped off one stem trying to straighten it out for staking. D'oh! One of the flowers is deformed but I'm not concerned as in my experience a lot of first time bloomers do this. The flowers are richly coloured and quite large. (6" pot for comparison). I will post it again when all the flowers are open.

Attachments

• orchids nov252012 003.JPG
    orchids nov252012 003.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 113
  • orchids nov252012 005.JPG
    orchids nov252012 005.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 74
  • orchids nov252012 004.JPG
    orchids nov252012 004.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 43
Looks good to me and keep us posted.
BTW, is it still golfing season in Ontario ? Can't imagine this to be here in Germany at the end of November.

I dont know 'Daya Red'. Is it originally wild collected? This is a very nice roth indeed. And it has a wide dorsal :clap:

Thank you everyone. I am quite thrilled with this roth and am hoping for an award on the next blooming.

I dont know 'Daya Red'. Is it originally wild collected? This is a very nice roth indeed. And it has a wide dorsal :clap:

My understanding on 'Daya Red' was that it was Japanese breeding but I couldl very well be wrong. If anyone else knows I hope they can tell us.

That is nice. Look forward to seeing the final product. Why have you cut back your collection?

I cut back my collection mainly because of my other obsession....golf. I play most every day. Our season has pretty well ended as days are at the freezing mark. Our course is the only one left open here and it will be closing within a week or so. I'll go to a few orchid meetings until March and then it will be back to golf. I play in a few tournaments and take my improvement very seriously....after 3 years of play I can shoot in the 80's so am dedicated to improving as much as I can before age sets me back.
When I slow down at golf I will probably start expanding my orchid collection again but until then...............:D

Attachments

• Golf stuff 001.JPG
    Golf stuff 001.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Golf stuff 003.JPG
    Golf stuff 003.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 10
So many putters! You must be really really good!

Edit. Had a closer look. It's irons. Still great clubs!

Beautiful Roth.

But why is it blooming in November (and not growing in Australia)???

Did you mean you sent it to David rather than John:poke:

Beautiful Roth.

But why is it blooming in November (and not growing in Australia)???

Did you mean you sent it to David rather than John:poke:

I don't think David would have sent it back! :rollhappy:
I sent three of my plants to stay in John's greenhouse for three months and brought them back home mid October. The roth was already in sheath on three growths so I expect the changes from being out in my yard for two months and then into a greenhouse for another three shocked it into blooming now instead of waiting for spring.
The flower so far is 24cm NS and still expanding. I'll post measurments when all flowers are open.

Wendy, you do grow some gorgeous multis and this roth. is no exception.
But...but...don't Gregory and Murray miss you when you're out playing golf? How's the family? Judy and David? Bobcat?

Latest posts

Back