Paph. rothschildianum 'Black Knight'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is another seedling to bloom from the 'Borneo Dark' x 'Dark Chocolate' cross. The flowers are not as large and well presented as 'Black Licorice' (from the same cross), but they are probably one of the darkest roth flowers I have seen. The amazing thing is that it is blooming on only one growth!:

PaphrorthschildianumBlackKnightB-2.jpg

PaphrorthschildianumBlackKnightBorn.jpg

PaphrorthschildianumBlackKnightB-1.jpg

For comparison here is 'Black Licorice' again, now with 4 open flowers:

PaphrorthschildianumBlackLicoriceBo.jpg

Robert

Very impressive. How old is this plant, i.e. how many years out of flask? Like Rick, I'm also interested to know just how big the cohort is for this cross. Seems to me that big quick blooming Roths are still stastical anomalies but these anomalies are growing more frequent from generation to generation. As some one with a little genetics education I find the subject of inheritance very interesting.

Do you think, with continual selective breeding, that in the future we may have Roths that bloom within a year or two out of flask like some of the Brachys? Granted, Brachys are tiny and Roths threaten to take over entire green houses.

Very impressive. How old is this plant, i.e. how many years out of flask? Like Rick, I'm also interested to know just how big the cohort is for this cross. Seems to me that big quick blooming Roths are still stastical anomalies but these anomalies are growing more frequent from generation to generation. As some one with a little genetics education I find the subject of inheritance very interesting.

Do you think, with continual selective breeding, that in the future we may have Roths that bloom within a year or two out of flask like some of the Brachys? Granted, Brachys are tiny and Roths threaten to take over entire green houses.

I have a theory, sustained by having watched people growing wild collected plants :p Many called the phenomenon "jungle vigor", which does not exist without any explanation I think.

Two facts, the plants have a min/max range of all elements where they are healthy. Let's say as an example Mn between 800-1400 ppm, but it could be nickel, chromium, mercury, or whatever has not yet been investigated...

A fresh jungle plant in perfect health has 2 things:

- Proper loads of everything required, maybe on the higher range. If 800-1400ppm is the correct range, maybe the fresh collected plant is 1300

- A lot of microorganisms and others that release some amino acids, IBA - there were references somewhere on Internet about a research on paphs and bacterial symbiosis, not fungal... and many other organic compounds that are not identified. There was another different study here:

http://www.actahort.org/members/showpdf?booknrarnr=766_39

So it could be two things :

- When we remove the jungle plant from its soil and grow it in a pot with our fertilizer, maybe we starve the plants slowly. So the healthy plant at 1300ppm Mn will slow down the growth until the plant will be 500-600 ppm or below, and be stunted...

- The bacterias/fungi in the roots depends for sure on the environment in the wild. They survive for a while and supply correctly the plant, and when they die, we cannot replace them, and the plants slow down.

Believe it or not, about half of the huonglanae I posted last year have a complete big mature growth right now... In Europe I was happy to get such a growth in 2-3 years. The fresh plants are throwing a leaf a month approximately too.

Rothschildianum, I always dislike the way people grow them. They are too yellow to my taste, and I have seen many wild roths in Sabah, they had first sometimes nearly black leaves, apart from some exceptions, second they were growing like crazy...

That the plants takes many years to bloom from flasks means two things:

- We do not know their optimum requirements, but sometimes an individual or a group of plants will have it and grow like crazy.

- Maybe the opponents of Knudson were right, and the asymbiotic raised seedlings are not "normal"... :confused::confused: I manage tissue culture lab for a living, and it is my thinking that many labs produce green things in the flasks that grow too slowly compared to what they should. To overcome that I have to add amino acids, some vitamins, organix compounds here and there... In a recent Orchid Digest, one paper about a dracula hybrids, the seeds that sprouted in the greenhouse were blooming when the seedlings from asymbiotic culture were barely of deflasking size...

Incidentally, I bloomed several roths after 3-4 years out of flasks maximum, using fertilizer and a peptone type, but I do not recommend that, because the plants are far more susceptible to pseudomonas...

I think that now we grow our plants better than 25 years ago, so they bloom earlier, and maybe in 10 years when we will have a better understanding of their needs, they will grow extremely quickly. It is more that than a line breeding story.

..... Granted, Brachys are tiny and Roths threaten to take over entire green houses.
The roth plants don't take over the GH due to their size, it's our addiction to have just one more and a 2nd ....3rd ... cross that we don't already have! :rollhappy:
Any smaller paphs make wonderful fillers between the roths & other multis, getting shade! Give me a few minutes & I'll justify almost anything! :p

If you go to: http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6581&highlight=Dark+Chocolate&page=5 it will tell you the age of these plants. I think in general it is true that the newer generations are starting to bloom faster, the first seedling from this cross bloomed in less than 4.5 years after coming out of the flask. By crossing these "fast bloomers" with other "fast bloomers" your next generation will have a bigger chance of getting more plants to bloom faster. I dont' think we will ever be able to get them to bloom as fast as Brachy's, but 3 to 4 years after coming out of the flask should be an achievable goal.

It is true that besides genetics, cultural practices play an important role, and over the years we have understood how to grow these plants better, making them bloom faster, but I think genetics still plays the most important role. We have remade some primaries using the faster blooming roths (like delrosi) and have noticed that these bloom faster as well compared to the older primaries (that used older rothschildianums) even under the same cultural practices.

Robert

Latest posts

Back