Paph. rothschildianum (0288)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We, as AOS judges, do not measure on a curve. That is not true.
For natural spread, we try to select the largest flower of the candidate and measure it without flattening. We try to measure on the horizontal, no angles. On a Roth, that would be petal tip to petal tip for horizontal natural spread.
When we measure individual segments, we are allowed to “flatten the segment” within reason. We do not want to ever damage a flower. With a dorsal for example we measure on a horizontal line at the dorsal’s widest point. We might take a quick measurement or two to make sure we have the largest flower. Then we can gently compress the dorsal against the ruler, as to
flatten it, to make sure we have the width measured as accurately as possible.
With a vertical measurement of natural spread I will manipulate two rulers if I have to in order to get an accurate vertical measurement. This measurement is without flattening.

I can tell you that if I wish to buy top quality multi floral paphs, in particular for roths, I will not approach Mr. Shen now but the breeders in south of Taiwan. Top quality multi floral paphs are mostly owned by south Taiwan breeder, at least until now.

Mr. Shen’s paph is very suitable for beginners and for those who need a certain quality clones, and the price he sells is fair and acceptable. BTW, be aware that he is an expert photographer too, in particular for taking Paph photos.

Definitely, like TON actually can be, so the photos are not exactly how it would look in natural light... but that's pretty common.

So far to give an example, I got 4-5 different crosses from Mr.Shen, they bloomed correctly compared to the parents.

I got a stockpile of Bear-blah x NewBear directly from the breeder years ago at top price, and none of them bloomed like the parents, they were absolutely a different roth type... The Green Valley x Dou Fong as well from another nursery were a disaster. The 'Mt Millais' crosses sold, though I did not buy them myself were not from it and very ugly... Expensive mistakes.

Sometimes we are shown with beautiful parents plants, but the owner is not honest, and sells seedlings of something else...

Shin-Yi is as well honest. My point of view is more that you buy what is said with the parents, rather than chasing sometimes a red herring

We, as AOS judges, do not measure on a curve. That is not true.
For natural spread, we try to select the largest flower of the candidate and measure it without flattening. We try to measure on the horizontal, no angles. On a Roth, that would be petal tip to petal tip for horizontal natural spread.
When we measure individual segments, we are allowed to “flatten the segment” within reason. We do not want to ever damage a flower. With a dorsal for example we measure on a horizontal line at the dorsal’s widest point. We might take a quick measurement or two to make sure we have the largest flower. Then we can gently compress the dorsal against the ruler, as to
flatten it, to make sure we have the width measured as accurately as possible.
With a vertical measurement of natural spread I will manipulate two rulers if I have to in order to get an accurate vertical measurement. This measurement is without flattening.
Yes but honestly it does not explain this:

'James C. Arnold' FCC 91 from May of 2022.
4 flowers, no buds. ns 32.0 x 11.9
ds. 6.5 x 6.8
pet. 1.3 x 15.0

If the NS is 32, the NS is made of the 2 petals at the maximum, if they were perfectly horizontal...

So here we have 2 x 15 = 32 which is pretty weird...

Definitely, like TON actually can be, so the photos are not exactly how it would look in natural light... but that's pretty common.

So far to give an example, I got 4-5 different crosses from Mr.Shen, they bloomed correctly compared to the parents.

I got a stockpile of Bear-blah x NewBear directly from the breeder years ago at top price, and none of them bloomed like the parents, they were absolutely a different roth type... The Green Valley x Dou Fong as well from another nursery were a disaster. The 'Mt Millais' crosses sold, though I did not buy them myself were not from it and very ugly... Expensive mistakes.

Sometimes we are shown with beautiful parents plants, but the owner is not honest, and sells seedlings of something else...

Shin-Yi is as well honest. My point of view is more that you buy what is said with the parents, rather than chasing sometimes a red herring
There are huge examples for top quality parents are producing inferior quality flower for their next generation. Don’t care too much above what the parents are. I just have interest to know which crosses has high potential to produce top quality flower and just buy those crosses.

Latest posts

Back