Paph Recovery

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigleaf

Reaction score
Paph Recovery
(sukhakulii alba 'Hilo Green Dragon' FCC/AOS X philippinense alba 'Green Tea')

These two look more like sukhakulii than philippinense ??

Paph_Recovery_No1_20110728.JPG

Paph_Recovery_No2_20110728.JPG

I'm having a hard time believing that this is named properly. The petals are too short and blunt and the foliage is way too strongly mottled. Attractive flower though.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time believing that this is named properly. The petals are too short and blunt and the foliage is way to strongly mottled. Attractive flower though.

Still the dorsal is striped and the petals spotted just like mine. The pouch looks about the same. The petals on mine are longer but mine was not made with both alba parents. :p

These two pictures are from two different plants. Do you think that having suhhakulii as pod parent makes a difference that these 2 flowers look more like suhhakulii ?
I like these flowers, even though I did not get green/white flowers. Both plants have 2 flowers (1 flower, 1 bud) each.

Still the dorsal is striped and the petals spotted just like mine. The pouch looks about the same. The petals on mine are longer but mine was not made with both alba parents. :p

I'm not sure that the fact album parents were used is a good reason to expect such short petals. Even album philippinense has long petals. Plus, if this cross was properly named (and the parents were ACTUAL albums, not just light-coloured normals), shouldn't these flowers both be green and white with no brown? But, that's a different issue. Colour genetics can be very strange! Although, I will admit that the staminode shields of these two flowers do both clearly indicate these are a hybrid.....and they do look like the staminode shields of other Paph. Recovery's found on the net, even ones which do have longer petals.

paphreek said:
Paph Iantha Stage (suhhakulii x rothschildianum) has similar mottled foliage.
Yes, it's mottled; but, the colour saturation of Iantha Stage is more muted and that's what I'd expect to see with this cross as well. However, it's really hard to say for sure by the little bit of foliage visible in the photo.

bigleaf said:
These two pictures are from two different plants. Do you think that having suhhakulii as pod parent makes a difference that these 2 flowers look more like suhhakulii?
I have heard that does make a difference....and sukhakulii does always seem to be quite dominant when used in primary crosses. If those petals were just a bit longer, I'd say for sure, this is Paph. Recovery. Perhaps these two plants represent the shorter petal extreme of what's possible with this cross. Still, it's not what I'd ever expect. I'd like to see more phili in there.

Perhaps these two plants represent the shorter petal extreme of what's possible with this cross. Still, it's not what I'd ever expect. I'd like to see more phili in there.

That's a point I was making in another post. I like surprises. I like it when the result does not match the prediction. In this case at least, the result appears to me much better than anticipated.
Then again, if this is not a Recovery, what else could it be? ;)

I'm a bit with John on this one. I just can't see any phillipinense.

Nice though.

David
My thoughts, also.

That's a point I was making in another post. I like surprises. I like it when the result does not match the prediction. In this case at least, the result appears to me much better than anticipated.
Then again, if this is not a Recovery, what else could it be? ;)
sukhakulii x wardii (Saiun)?
Google brings up several similar to this. One here:
http://www.rv-orchidworks.com/orchi...ardii-green-aura-x-sukhakulii-flashdance.html

There is a dwarf type of philli album around, Ed M showed this one:

www.slippertalk.com/ forum/showthread.php?t=20088

I can't see any philli in these flowers, but since it is two-flowered, it is very likely to habe one mutliflowered parent.

I like the flowers, and with two albinistic parents its worth doing a sib cross of your two plants, which "should" give you a percentage of clear albinos.

Latest posts

Back