Paph. primulinum var. purpurascens?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaphLover

Reaction score
This little cutie stole my heart, so of course it had to come home with me. It was labelled only Paph. primulinum, but since that's a yellow form, could this one safely be called var. purpurascens?

Poor little thing is a little wonky because of being pushed around by the much bigger paphs in shipping. It also has fuzz from the packing material attached…so maybe don't judge its beauty or form just yet.

It's so tiny, the lip is only as big as my pinky fingernail.

Attachments

• IMGP0168.jpg
    IMGP0168.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 55
If there is no doubt that it is Paph primulinum, then forma purpurascens would be correct. When a characteristic is probably due to a single gene difference (like most alba vs. non-alba examples) the forma designation is preferable rather than var. as long as someone was smart enough to publish it that way. Color is the only distinct trait of forma purpurascens.

I tend to automatically doubt the identification of primulinum except from the most reliable sources, but I don't see any specific reason to think this is actually a hybrid, so Paph primulinum forma purpurascens works.

Last edited:
"If there is no doubt that it is Paph primulinum, then forma purpurascens would be correct."
Hmmm, interesting. I always try to look things up online before I ask here and the 'var.' came up so I used that terminology. Thanks for the correction. It makes sense.

"I tend to automatically doubt the identification of primulinum except from the most reliable sources"…I'm curious what you mean by this. Is paph primulinum uncommon these days? Has it fallen out of favour?

"If there is no doubt that it is Paph primulinum, then forma purpurascens would be correct."
Hmmm, interesting. I always try to look things up online before I ask here and the 'var.' came up so I used that terminology. Thanks for the correction. It makes sense.

"I tend to automatically doubt the identification of primulinum except from the most reliable sources"…I'm curious what you mean by this. Is paph primulinum uncommon these days? Has it fallen out of favour?

Var. primulinum is certainly a validly published name too, but taxonomic revision happens at all levels. I tend to follow Braem's treatment from Paphiopedilum (2nd edition, 2014) because it is recent, I have it to refer too, and I mostly agree with it. Formal scientific recognition of different flower color forms within one population just doesn't make sense at any higher level than forma. I can barely tolerate even that.

Paph primulinum is valid and popular, but there have been so many generations of crossing, back-crossing and re-crossing between it and Paph glaucophyllum, with deliberate and/or careless misrepresentation of hybrids as species, that my natural skepticism kicks in.

Paph primulinum is valid and popular, but there have been so many generations of crossing, back-crossing and re-crossing between it and Paph glaucophyllum, with deliberate and/or careless misrepresentation of hybrids as species, that my natural skepticism kicks in.

Touche!

"Paph primulinum is valid and popular, but there have been so many generations of crossing, back-crossing and re-crossing between it and Paph glaucophyllum, with deliberate and/or careless misrepresentation of hybrids as species, that my natural skepticism kicks in."

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. :)

Latest posts

Back