Paph. Pinochio album.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jblanford

(P. glaucophyllum X P. primulinum)
This is a great looking little flower, bought this plant in the summer, glad it bloomed now it'll be ready for our show in a couple of weeks, and there is more buds right behind.
Thanks for looking. Jim.

IMG_0718.jpg

It's a beauty, alright! I can't wait to hear how it makes out at your show! :clap:

Lovely!

For it to be Pinochio album, there has to be a glaucophyllum album. I've never heard of there being one. Are you sure it's Pinochio and not pure primulinum album?

Although, from what little I know about genetics, I've always understood that a cross between two species will usually produce offspring looking somewhere in the middle. However, a selfing or sibbing of the offspring will produce a wide variation of "looks". As the same inherited genes are remixed, some offspring will favour one parent, while others will favour the other. Is this from a selfing or sibbing of Pinochio? If it is, then this would represent the extreme "look" of primulinum, without actually being primulinum or an album form of Pinochio. In this case, I think that if it was selfed, there would at least be some coloured, more glaucophyllum-looking offspring come out of it. Hmmmm? 'Anybody got anything else to add to this? It'd be nice to know how this works.

I don't know from genetics, but I bought this plant from Oak Hill Gardens and they are usually good with IDs on tags. The next time I see them I'll check and I'll let you know. Jim.

REsponse

We need your feedback on this one - Great plant - just a neat question - j

Interesting Jim. Don't loose that name tag! Wouldn't want to confuse it for one of it's parents.

:clap: :rollhappy: My thought exactly! My prim flavum (from Antec) is almost fully opened & they look alike! The dorsal on yours is pointy, whereas mine is rounded.

I am always confused about these plants... primulinum, Pinocchio and Avalon Mist all seem to overlap!

Is there a reliable way to distinguish between them?

Compare Jim's Pinocchio with Eric's Avalon Mist:
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10897

Then compare those with one that I bought at a show last year labelled as primulinum:

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10341

So, apart from genetic testing (which is still too expensive) is there any way to visually tell the difference between these?

Shakkai,
Your confusion is why I'm so aganist these type of crosses. To me, there is no improvement over either specie parent and mass confusion is created down the road. For folks who want to know what they have in their collections it turns out to be a nightmare. The only benefit is to the breeder, who gets "hybrid viger" which translates to lot of plants which equals lots of money! Me personally, I would like to have a good primulinum but i don't trust anything I see on ebay or online catalogs at this point. I would have to have it in my hands, feel it, smell it, taste it before I bought it now!:D

I am always confused about these plants... primulinum, Pinocchio and Avalon Mist all seem to overlap!
So, apart from genetic testing (which is still too expensive) is there any way to visually tell the difference between these?
I would think that's a compliment to prim! Wouldn't one expect an overlap seeing they all share the prim parent?
Eric's A.M. has a pointy chin stam, my prim flavum has a squared off chin stam. Maybe that's a start?

Latest posts

Back