Paph. philippinense x sib in spike!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaphLover

Reaction score
Paph. philippinense x sib ('Miao Hua' SM/TOGA x 'Mercury' SM/TPS)

Bought at our orchid society show in March and wasn't expecting a spike. ...Don't remember noticing anything when I repotted it. What a nice surprise. Was expecting to wait until next year for blooms.

A bit worried about the browning area on the leaf. Should I remove the entire leaf with the brown spot at the base or just try to cut out the brown area? It isn't wet or mushy, the leaf underneath isn't affected, and the rest of the leaf appears healthy.

Attachments

• paph. philippinense x sib.jpg
    paph. philippinense x sib.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMGP0105.jpg
    IMGP0105.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 70
Is that the lowest leaf? If so, maybe it got damaged during repoting. Leave it but watch closely, if it begins to spread yhe remove it quickly.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Thanks Ozpaph and SlipperKing. Yes, it's the lowest leaf. The last time this happened to me on another paph, there was a new fan growing under the leaf. This one already has a second fan growing, so I doubt that's the case here. Glad I can just leave it.

Thanks gego and emydura.

gego, yes, trying SH. Noname LECA. Did you mean the spot looks dark or the bud?
The bud. Good luck on the SH. This species likes SH but be careful with the nutrient, its easy to get deficient.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nice surprise! I agree with the others....watch the brown leaf but leave it unless it becomes apparent that it needs to come off.

Troy, it has lots of plump, healthy roots.

gego, great to hear it likes S/H. I'll keep an eye on nutrients.

Wendy, thanks!

Whew! I was worried you'd all say it had rot. Glad you're not concerned. :D

Even if that leaf has rot and the rot has to be removed, with a pot full of good roots you should be ok, although your plant looks very small to be blooming, I'd keep a close eye on it. I have a paph I just lost a biggest growth from has a pot full of good roots, will be ok,

I wish I knew how. I don't have an outside photo account to link to and this site will only accept tiny photo files (that I know of).

I don't know how to attach anything larger. :(

You won't be able to here -- not enough bandwidth. Buy why not open an account with something like Photobucket? It is free.

Back