Paph Maudiae 'Los Osos' Comparison

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperKing

Madd Virologist
Reaction score
Here is 'Los Osos' opening currently. Take note of the second bud forming. It rarely ever does this. Look at the differences in dorsal colors from the division (2 flowered) I posted a month ago compared to today's division. When I posted this plant the first time here (~08) people questioned whether it really was 'Los Osos' . It blooms as much as 3 times a year and it looks different each time as seen in this PIC.
P1080387_zps9a5f5090.jpg

P1080388_zps63496876.jpg

both divisions
P1080389_zps76e5585d.jpg

Here is 'Los Osos' opening currently. Take note of the second bud forming. It rarely ever does this. Look at the differences in dorsal colors from the division (2 flowered) I posted a month ago compared to today's division. When I posted this plant the first time here (~08) people questioned whether it really was 'Los Osos' ....
These are very beautiful flowers - congrats !
But I'm wondering why someone gives this beauty a cultivar name 'Los Osos' this means 'Bears' ?

Los Osos is the place on the central coast of California where Norris Powell's Orchid House and Orchids of Los Osos were and are.

Well grown and great photos. :clap:

Rick knows, but those with less experience might need to hear it again, culture and cultural conditions really do strongly affect flower quality. Good culture, such as Rick's is necessary to see the full potential of a flower. There is a reason 'Los Osos' has the awards it has, and a reason it was used often in breeding. 'Los Osos' has the potential for great flowers. Rick is able to bring that out.

Most pick up their hybrids of "Maudiae type" parentage as single growth plants. These hybrids don't shine until you have a multi-growth clump. Only then do they reveal just how good they are. And as Rick mentioned a multi-growth clump will bloom several times a year. If at all possible, when you repot your Maudiae, or Paphs in general, don't divide them to single growths, let a clump develop. You will be very please with the improvement you will see.

Nice thread Rick

Back