Cattleya Earl 'Imperialis' FCC/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NEslipper

Reaction score
The fall cattleyas continue on my windowsill, next up is an original division of Cattleya Earl 'Imperialis' FCC/AOS registered by Suyama in 1961. The cross is C. Empress Bells x C. General Patton, so there is a lot of C. Bow Bells in this plant (it has Bow Bells as a grandparent on each side). P.G. Barnett got an 84 point AM on this plant in 1967 and had it upgraded to a 91 point FCC in 1980. I can certainly see why. I grow in less than ideal conditions and it still gave me flowers with overlapping petals, upright dorsals, and wide, flat lateral sepals. The first flower was flat for a few days, and then the right petal decided to flop over a bit, oh well. On a well-grown greenhouse specimen the flower quality must be out-of-this-world. Two flowers currently in bloom, with another sheath in low bud, so fingers crossed I get a second round of blooms in a month or so. It is currently filling my living room with that intoxicating classic cattleya fragrance.
IMG_4730a.jpg
IMG_4772a.jpg
IMG_4858a.jpg
IMG_4976a.jpg
IMG_5006a.jpg
Here it is with my other classic white C. Helen P. Dane 'Magnifica' AM/AOS from 1941. The Helen P Dane only has one flower, so it is massive - at least 17cm with petals recurving, over 18 if you flatten them out, but 'Imperialis' has far superior overall form.
IMG_5064a.jpg

Whelp, the second sheath on this plant produced 1 bud, with a much larger and fuller flower. Unfortunately, this idiot grower dropped it flower first while watering it, so the only photos I have are a low light evening photo I took while it was still opening up, and one final photo of the mangled result after its journey to the floor. At least it still smells amazing! Already excited for next year's blooming!
aIMG_7295.JPG
aIMG_0523.JPG

Back