Paph leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone else out there have godefroyae with green in the staminode?

Here's a photo of my Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum and it's got also the green markings on it's staminode. I like these green markings very much. :)
Unfortunately the photo was shot already in 09/2006.

paph_leucochilum.jpg

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

Thanks for your input guys on the green veins and staminodes. Most interesting, this variablitiy.:wink:

I would think so too Eric. But apparently not, unless there's a lot of muddy hybridizing going on to cause this

Absolutely. If one of the taxonomist had gotten one with and one without the green 5 years ago, I'm sure they would be distinct species now. :rolleyes:

Absolutely. If one of the taxonomist had gotten one with and one without the green 5 years ago, I'm sure they would be distinct species now. :rolleyes:
Have you notice Eric, not one taxonomist has qued in on this discussion. Why is that? Maybe there is nothing to discuss!:p

I can't see how anyone viewing this forum could have any trust in any of the SE Asian brachypetalums. They are so cross-bred and so in-bred that there can never be any assurance as to just exactly what they truly are.

Besides nearly everyone calling P. godefroye and P. leucochilum the same thing, it just makes one wonder.........

And don't ask a taxonomist, they're more confused than many of you.

I can't see how anyone viewing this forum could have any trust in any of the SE Asian brachypetalums. They are so cross-bred and so in-bred that there can never be any assurance as to just exactly what they truly are.

Besides nearly everyone calling P. godefroye and P. leucochilum the same thing, it just makes one wonder.........

And don't ask a taxonomist, they're more confused than many of you.
Lance,
You're reading my mind, but I was too confused to say it!! Thank you

I hope it is a pure breed Paph. thaianum!!!!!!! (Wishful thinking)

Ramon:)

Ramon, just looking thru the In-Charm Orchids website, very interesting pics.
They show in the Parvi, Brachy album....godefroyae fma album and in brackets, godefroyae x ang-thong. 2 or 3 pics, WITH the distinct green stami.
There are 2 pics in the Species album with the same names, one with a green stami and 1 yellow. It might be worth a look your self, it might help clarify the name of your white one.

Ramon, just looking thru the In-Charm Orchids website, very interesting pics.
They show in the Parvi, Brachy album....godefroyae fma album and in brackets, godefroyae x ang-thong. 2 or 3 pics, WITH the distinct green stami.
There are 2 pics in the Species album with the same names, one with a green stami and 1 yellow. It might be worth a look your self, it might help clarify the name of your white one.
Roy and Ramon,
I looked at the site. In-Charm is listing ang-thong as a species and godefroyae as another species in their "species photo album" Then in their "Brachy hybrid photo album" they show godefroyae var album (godefroyae "crossed by" ang-thong). One note of interest, in their species photos I saw only one plant that might have green veining but the staminode was not fully visable, all others where yellow or plain white w/spots.

P. godefroyae and the plants known in the trade as "P. ang thong" both occur on the eastern side of Thailand in the Gulf of Siam, near and around the Chumphon/Ko Samui region. While there are no paphs found on Koh Ang Thong itself, all these types of plants can be found in variations on particular kinds of limestone islands in the area.

While the plants we recognize as P. ang thong come mostly from the small archipelage of Chumphon, P. godefroyae can be seen from a much wider area around the same side of the gulf. I have named both types as P. godefroyae in my grower's manual based on the present state of their morphology.

I never saw a green spot on the staminode of any of these wild-collected brachypetalums, including staminodes on P. leucochilum from the gulf of Krabi.

....I never saw a green spot on the staminode of any of these wild-collected brachypetalums, including staminodes on P. leucochilum from the gulf of Krabi.

Lance, but there are obviously some P. leucochilum out there with the green markings on the staminode both in Europe and in North America.
Please have a look at Stephens site http://www.slipperorchids.info/paphspecies/index.html and look at the image of my P. leucochilum in this thread. I'm convinced they come from different sources, breeders or vendors.

Best regards from Germany, rudolf

GuRu,

I don't dispute the fact that green staminodes are sometimes exhibited on Brachypetalum flowers. I don't even dispute the possibility of them appearing on some collected species.

My contention is, I suspect the ones we see in captivity have most likely had their genetics tampered with by some enterprising human.

The big problem is, we will never know for sure.

LB

Back