Paph leucochilum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a pic of my godefroyae blooming last fall, it had the green in the staminode...

08042007.jpg

I happen to be looking at older photos last night and happened to rediscover the green, then I found this post today.

Ramon, Are you telling me I missed the Paph. godefroyae var. album at the WOC? For sure a couple of those would have come home with me. You know how it is, those things just jump into your suitcase.

Yes Bob, In-Charm where selling them.

Ramon:)

now i'm confused. i thought ang-thong was a variety of nivieum whereas leucochilium was a variety of godfroyae

I want a white Paph. but all of the species/ hybrids I have seen always seem have some color to them either as dots or as an over all faint color. Your Paph. godefroyae var. album is the purest white I have seen. It is simply beautiful. Is this purity of color typical? Are there other "pure" white Paphs that I have not found?

I want a white Paph. but all of the species/ hybrids I have seen always seem have some color to them either as dots or as an over all faint color. Your Paph. godefroyae var. album is the purest white I have seen. It is simply beautiful. Is this purity of color typical? Are there other "pure" white Paphs that I have not found?

Corbin, I think this one, bellatulum album and angthong alba are the purest white you're gonna get... :p :poke:

Very excellent photo and plant!

Not totally confused. P. ang-thong is a natural hybrid ( niveum x godefroyae )( as Greyi is the man made version ) and leucochilum IS a variety of godefroyae.

Not to start a taxonomy discussion here, but this confuses me a bit. Wouldn't it be easier to call a cross the same name, no matter how it was made (either naturally or man-made)? Does this happen with all man-made natural crosses?

This is a mine field you are now entering. Occasionally it does happen, BUT, the biggest problem is Hybridists using the WRONG names.
An example, Paph Conco-bellatulum is a man made hybrid between concolor and bellatulum, simple enough. A collection of Paphs from China formally know as Conco-bellatulum, Natural hybrid, was described as a NEW species called
P. wenshanense. Fair enough, BUT, hybridist are now using the man made Conco-bellatulums in breeding and SELLING them as P. wenshanense the species as a parent which is totally false and misleading. If in fact P. wenshanense is a Conco-bellatulum, Nat' Hyb' then both should have the one name, which ever one. In reality, you are dealing with a problem that many or most are walking away from.
Its a "buyer beware" situation and/or trust in the retailer of the plants. In many cases they are in the same situation.

I know it's a mine field, which is why I was hesitant to say anything. What I was getting at, was, if I, or anyone else, was to make a cross of a natural hybrid, what would it be called? I'll use an example of a plant I actually have - Catt. x guatemalensis (skinneri x aurantiaca). As far as I know, there is no cultivated name for this one. Does it depend on if the cultivated hybrid was made before the natural hybrid was found in the wild? Take the example of Paph. ang-thong - if it is man-made, it is called Greyi, but if it is found in the wild, it's ang-thong?!?! Well, this is a discussion for another thread, and probalby could go on forever, just like the Phrag. caudatum/wallissi/warscewiczianum/ etc. discussion! :crazy: :confused:

Kevin, I believe that which ever plant is named 1st, nat hyb or man made it should have the same name. I think there is a thread for a new Paph from Olaf Gruss. I think it is emersonii x micranthum. Man made = Lola Bird. Nat Hyb,= x glanzii
I don't think we will have any stability with orchid names/naming till the people who have the power to rectify it get the guts to do something about it.

Anyone else out there have godefroyae with green in the staminode?

I've seen a batch of those in flower yesterday, some but not all had this small green notch on the staminode. The plants were raised in Thailand.

Best wishes, Carsten

Back