Paph leucochilum fma album

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirGo

having a soft spot for albino slipper species
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another albino family member I like to introduce: Paph leucochilum fma album
For those who like comparing: all pictures are the same plant: opening now May 2022 previous time was in January 2022 ( yes only 5 months ago! ) and in March 2021 (first ever flowering )

20220513_122935.jpg20220122_133652.jpg202103 fl.jpg

Dirk, very nice flower(s) and the green markings on the staminode, which I like especially, are a plus. 👍
But in my eyes Paph. leucochilum doesn't exist....they all are Paph. godefroyae album...or can you tell me the traits how to distinguish Paph. leucochilum album fron Paph. godefroyae album ? To distinguish them by the spotless white pouch is impossible, isn't it.

they all are Paph. godefroyae album...

Rudolf, I agree completely with you, there is absolutely no way to differentiate "Paph godefroyae album" from "Paph godefroyae f. leucochilum album"on sight, I just kept the name tag short and same as bought. Happy to call it godefroyae album and still love it just the same...

If you can share any info on the official description of godefroyae album would be great. I have been looking for that in my books.
I only discovered that Olaf Gruss used both Paph godefroyae forma leucochilum 'Album' and Paph godefroyae f. album on pictures in his latest book.

...........If you can share any info on the official description of godefroyae album would be great. I have been looking for that in my books. I only discovered that Olaf Gruss used both Paph godefroyae fma. leucochilum 'Album' and Paph godefroyae f. album on pictures in his latest book.
Dirk, I also saw by looking in the new book of O. Gruß that page 186 was full with photos of Paph. godefroyae fma. leucochilum 'Album'. I don't know why he wasso inconsequent in this way because he wrote on page 183 how to distinguish Paph. godefroyae var. leucochilum from Paph. godefroyae and I quote:
"Die Farbform hat die gleiche Form und Färbung wie das Paph. godefroyae. Lediglich die Lippe zeigt keinerlei Flecken oder Zeichnungen. Oft sind die Blüten etwas größer als bei Paph. godefroyae." in English :"The colour form has the same shape and colouration as the Paph. godefroyae. Merely the lip doesn't show any spots or markings at all. Often the flowers are little bigger as with Paph. godefroyae."
With this statement ther is no place for Paph. godefroyae fma. leucochilum album and it's been missing completely in the book of O. Gruß 'Genus Paphiopedilum Albino Forms' (2008). There is a notation about the description of Paph. godefroyae album in The Australian Orchid Review 66(1); 16; 2001 but this is obviously wrong because there is an article of G. Braem about 'Notes in Albinism in Paphiopedilum. Other sources mention that the description of Paph. godefroyae album was published in Caesiana, 18: 31 (2001) but you can't find this in the net.

(great reply)
Hi Rudolf, thank you very much for your never ending efforts in gathering and sharing scientific based replies to everyone's questions!
Internet defines "guru" as "an influential teacher or popular expert " from my point it covers well.

PS..plant label changed 🏷

........Internet defines "guru" as "an influential teacher or popular expert " from my point it covers well......
Dirk, thanks for your praise....but you are wrong....Gu.....Rudolf are only the initials of my sure- and christian names. It's just funny that this is similar to guru but I never claimed or thought to be one. Furthermore to distinguish my user name from guru I write the G and R with capital letters.

Last edited:
....Gu.....Rudolf are only the initials of my sure- and christian names.
sure, I got it... I still like my explanation better :) this forum florishes on people like you (and many others) who invest time to explain and document voluntary. I thought it to be good to speak up from time to time to let you all know I appreciate this a lot. Comparing to other social media replies are many times limited to a flashing "WOW" without adding a lot of value. I like slippertalk for that. Just take the flowers Rudolf !!!

sure, I got it... I still like my explanation better :) this forum florishes on people like you (and many others) who invest time to explain and document voluntary. I thought it to be good to speak up from time to time to let you all know I appreciate this a lot. Comparing to other social media replies are many times limited to a flashing "WOW" without adding a lot of value. I like slippertalk for that. Just take the flowers Rudolf !!!
I so agree about other sites offering no more than Wow’s and Like’s. Who has time for that? This site, by contrast, is a wealth of shared knowledge and info and very valuable because of those with expertise and experience from all around the globe. In many cases, those who’ve worked with or learned from the true greats in all things orchid. A privilege to be a part of it. And GuRu it’s okay to just accept the compliment. We appreciate you!

Back