Paph Lady Isabel

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Prett-dee! Dave. I have a question about he strange circular pattern on the the underside of the leaf. What causes that?

Well spotted Rick. Those marks have worried me a bit. If it was a Cymbidium or such I would be concerned it would be a virus. But apparently Paphs show little or no symptoms from virus other than very slow growth so I think virus is unlikely. In anycase it seems to be growing and flowering well. I think it maybe just physical damage of some sort. Another leaf on another growth has a similar mark but it is not widespread over the plant. The marks have also been there for a while.

Here is a closeup. Any thoughts?

David

lileaf.jpg

I've not seen anything like this. At least not in recent memory. If I were you, I would find a some place that does virus testing. Follow their instructions for sending in a sample, just for the pease of mind it will give you. Meantime, isolate it from the other plants.

If not a virus, then it could be done from too intense light or a burning!!!

That is what I think has happened. The marks have been there for several years and nothing further has developed and all the new growths are flawless. I think it was just a one off event that had mildly burnt the leaves. Possibly too much light at one time. I also did spray a fungicide a couple of years back that did a lot of damage to some of my plants, although none of these plants had markings like this Lady Isabel. Maybe it was just a very light burn in comparison.

We no longer can have our plants tested for virus here in Australia. There is a place in Tasmania that will test but recent quarantine laws mean you cannot send any samples (or orchids in general for that matter) to them. I do have a virus testing kit which tests for the 2 most common viruses. I will try that.

The Lady Isabel is the most expensive orchid I have bought. I'd be pretty dissappointed to lose that one.

David

Tiny aliens making a "crop circle."

:rollhappy::rollhappy::rollhappy:..........Seriously though, it could be a "sun burn" if it has been there for a long time and you have not notice any other areas developing. Quite a beautiful flower I would hate not knowing for sure.

David, did you get the plant out of Sydney ??? or that area.
There is a fungal disease that does effect orchids that seems to appear in the warm/hot humid weather. It stops in the cold weather and can become dormant. The marks remain though, nothing I know of stops it either but it doesn't seem to harm the plant except for the marks.

David, did you get the plant out of Sydney ??? or that area.
There is a fungal disease that does effect orchids that seems to appear in the warm/hot humid weather. It stops in the cold weather and can become dormant. The marks remain though, nothing I know of stops it either but it doesn't seem to harm the plant except for the marks.

Thanks Roy. I got it off John Robertson (QLD) about 4 or 5 years ago.

David

Latest posts

Back