Paph insigne 'Harefield Hall' & friends

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emydura

Reaction score
A few insigne's in flower at the moment. Here are three with another two on the way. My normal insigne's grow outside in some pretty harsh condition with winter temps well below freezing. My valuable clones live in the heated greenhouse and grow and flower fine despite a minimum temp of around 15oC.

Paph insigne 'Harefield Hall'

Paph insigne Sanderae

Normal Paph insigne

David, these are lovely flowers, what a great display!
I've been looking for insigne sanderae or sanderianum here in Germany for ages but unfortunately couldn't get one.

I've been looking for insigne sanderae or sanderianum here in Germany for ages but unfortunately couldn't get one.

You should have been in Australia last year Rudolf as large specimen plants were being sold on eBay every 2nd week. There was a real run of them for some reason. Well worth getting as the flowers are so large and bright in colour.

Great to see these variations together.
It would be nice to see them side by side in one photograph.

A nice collection of insigne you have there. Your clone of 'std' insigne is also very good. It has very little white in the dorsal, a lot less than my clone in any case.
I love insigne for their ease of culture and their mid winter generosity of bloom

Very nice P. insigne collection and great pictures! Are you growing these plants outdoor or indoor?

I took advantage of that opportunity!.

So does yours have flowers this year? I wonder how easy these are to flower in Brisbane.

Very nice P. insigne collection and great pictures! Are you growing these plants outdoor or indoor?

The Harefield Hall and Sanderae clones grow in my heated glasshouse (min 15-16oC) as they as they are too valuable to grow outside in some pretty harsh conditions. They flower every year now so they don't seem to need cooling as advised. I grow my normal insigne's outside all year round. Very hot dry summers and freezing winters (down to around -8oC, often around -4oC). They grow under protection so it wouldn't get that cold, but still there must be times when it is below freezing.

So does yours have flowers this year? I wonder how easy these are to flower in Brisbane.

The Harefield Hall and Sanderae clones grow in my heated glasshouse (min 15-16oC) as they as they are too valuable to grow outside in some pretty harsh conditions. They flower every year now so they don't seem to need cooling as advised. I grow my normal insigne's outside all year round. Very hot dry summers and freezing winters (down to around -8oC, often around -4oC). They grow under protection so it wouldn't get that cold, but still there must be times when it is below freezing.
Thank you David. Can I suppose that they are seeing sometimes 30°C (day temperature) because this is what I have in my GH.

Thank you David. Can I suppose that they are seeing sometimes 30°C (day temperature) because this is what I have in my GH.

The ones in the glasshouse would reach a maximum of 30-31oC in summer. In winter the maximum temperatures barely make it above 20oC. The ones outside would reach up to 40oC in summer and regularly above 30oC. The humidity at this time is very low. It is a very dry heat.

Thanks a lot, David! It is a wonderful picture and an interesting comparision!

Latest posts

Back