Paph hirsutissimum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, I have one that's been in low bud for the last four months now.

I can see your plant is very large, I'd like to know what temps you grow this at winter/summer

Wow Gary.....That's a beauty.....What a gorgeous flower! Well done!

Keep it cold and dry(ish), next winter and you should get many more stems coming up all at once. Also, towards the end of summer, begin holding off on the fertilizer....especially nitrogen. It needs to starve a bit, to trigger the initiation of buds.

Thanks for the info john, I have two multi growth plants from alan kotch and want to bloom them, how cold?

Very nice flower. I'm surprised that with the size of the plant you only have one spike. As John M. says, colder and dryer should help initiate more spikes. Well grown plant, too.

Thanks for the info john, I have two multi growth plants from alan kotch and want to bloom them, how cold?

As cold as you can get; but, not down to freezing. Try to get your plants at least into the 50's F. If you can get them down into the 40's, that's better; but, it's also important to starve the plant for Nitrogen....or fertilizer altogether in the fall/winter to get the initiation. Once you see spikes, you can resume feeding normally again. This is how I got a stubborn, big, bushy plant of this species to finally spike for me. Meet it's every need and spoil it during the growing season, then, at the end of summer/early fall, this extreme rest will set spikes for late winter/spring flowers.

Thanks all. I was thinking that perhaps a bit more light in winter might be needed. I do not feed in winter, and also do not heat my grow area. The temperatures drop to 6-8 on some winter nights, while days are in the 20's. Not all nights go that cold, only when it drops to below zero at night.

Gary, think you should change Your hosting; or is it me??? I cannot see Your Pictures, what a pity.....

Latest posts

Back